Why become a member? ×

Hello

Silverwolf

Hi, found this forum a few days ago and have been quietly reading various posts and searching out information on different basses. I'm a complete novice, looking to get my first bass within the next few weeks, and then find out whether I'm still young enough to learn how to play it - I'm over 40! I haven't decided what bass to get yet, but have been considering a used Yamaha BB604. I'll probably be asking questions on here fairly soon :)

I also took up the bass (no previous experience on other instruments either) late and started playing in my first band at the age of 51! It's great fun and if you haven't had any real playing experience, of any instrument, it is really worthwhile getting lessons. I've learned a great deal from my tutor about bass playing and music in general.
The site looks good and seems very friendly and is not just a place for people to plug their bands (Deltasonic Blues Club). I'm hoping to pick some brains on the equipment side soon.
Have fun with the playing and the site and from a relative novice my only advice would be to get the best equipment you can afford and don't be put off by the thousands of really talented 14 year old musicians you see. Our time will come!
Cheers.

Thank you for the welcomes and advice. I will look into getting some lessons as my musical talents are pretty limited at the moment; I can play a few tunes on a keyboard and read a few notes! Might also try getting a DVD tutorial and seeing if that will fill in the gaps between real lessons. Think I'll go look on Youtube now to see if there's any videos of the Deltasonic Blues Club :)