Why become a member? ×

Hey

Jam

Hey there,

I'm James. I've been playing bass for about 3 years and I play a variety of stuff really.

I was brought up on Motown stuff so I've always had an interest in that groovy soul stuff, despite some of Jamerson's stuff being an absolute nightmare to play (I'm really not that good!).

Apart from that, I like my rock and funk, Chilis, Incubus, you know the score, and I also love to slap (despite not being very good at it) , so I like Larry Graham, Primus, some Miller and Wooten stuff. I guess i'm somewhat of a bass cliche..

I play a Japanese Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass (the pretty one without the pickguard). I got it as a memento of my time in Japan. One of my bastard housemates put a bloody great scratch on the back which still haunts my dreams to this day.

Apart from that I have a Hohner Arbor MX2 (anyone else have one? I can't find any info on them..) which has flatwounds on it and a bit of sponge at the bridge for extra smooth sounding groovy action.

So yeah. Hi! Looking forward to getting involved on here..

Here are some annoying questions while i'm here..

1) Can anyone recommend any good stuff for me to play judging by what I've said above? I'm just getting into Rush...(Yes yes i know i'm about 20 years too late.)

2) Does anyone know any good Bass teachers in Oxford?

Cheers guys!

[quote name='Jam' post='65130' date='Sep 25 2007, 02:45 AM']Seems i'm not the only person up at this time in the morning! Can you recommend any stuff for slap?[/quote]

i have 2 n a bit weeks off work so im burnin midnight oil for a bit haha

you seem to have it covered somewhat,graham wooten and miller

althouh wierdly i just been listening to remain in light by talkin heads and theres some really good lines on there.
not quite the same level but by all means it has a good groove

Cool, I'll look it up!

I've added some pics of myself in the "add pics of yourself" thread if anyone's interested in what I look like. I wouldn't recommend looking though, unless you have some bleach handy to burn your eyes out with..

Anything in particular by Wooten and/or Miller you'd recommend? I mean I know of them and I've heard a little of their stuff but i've never really looked into playing any...

[quote name='Jam' post='65135' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:23 AM']Cool, I'll look it up!

I've added some pics of myself in the "add pics of yourself" thread if anyone's interested in what I look like. I wouldn't recommend looking though, unless you have some bleach handy to burn your eyes out with..

Anything in particular by Wooten and/or Miller you'd recommend? I mean I know of them and I've heard a little of their stuff but i've never really looked into playing any...[/quote]

if you go on youtube i suggest looking at this mate:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyQAFroumM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyQAFroumM[/url]
for the loveley mr wooten!

for larry:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbhxB7cGbw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbhxB7cGbw[/url]
theres 4 parts to that,this is the 1st its great!

i know i just put some up of myself haha

Guest Bald Eagle

Welcome, so you got the funk huh? it's incurable you know, however take this aurally four times a day and you'll be feeling POW in no time!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_F7Ge_Ihs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_F7Ge_Ihs[/url]

See now, I have the funk, and I want to be able to play better, but i'm not quite funky enough yet!
I don't think Ped has the time to teach me either. Don't worry. I'll find someone!

And dude, if that's you playing Pow, thank you so much. I think that's the best version i've seen on youtube for learning the song, and you've done other parts as opposed to just the main riff, which is great..

I'm glad I found this site!

Headington Hill campus. Just come back from my year abroad so am in Japan House in Morrells..I lived at Harcourt for my first year and it was a bloody nightmare getting to anywhere.

I know where Witney is too, my family live in Kidlington. I'm living away from home this year because I wanted the proper student experience, you know?

What were you studying? Musics?

Ah nice one! I was meant to go to Headington for graduation but frankly the parking is impossible and it was at 8 AM!

I did geography at uni (Aberystwyth) before doing the PGCE at Brookes. Harcourt Hill is a dump, isn't it!! Fortunately most of the course is spent in schools.

You can't beat living away from home whilst at Uni. You made the right choice!! Japan house - is it all japanese or something??

Cheers
ped

Yeah man Harcourt's a sh*thole and I was glad to see the back of it.

Geography huh? I always remember that being like "colour in the map" and "the water cycle" repeatedly through secondary. Does it get much harder at uni?

Yeah my degree's Japanese and German and I just came back from a year in Japan. What Brookes has done is taken one of the halls at Morrells and made it into a shared house for the people who've just come back from Japan, and some Japanese natives who've just arrived in England, who we got to know when we were out there...It's actually pretty fun!

Is your PGCE in teaching? I did a taster course, hilariously known as the "SAS", or Student Associate Scheme, which sent us out to various schools and had us helping out in classes, and it was really interesting. I reckon i'd like to be a teacher one day but I don't know if i'd have the patience to deal with secondary school kids. I get on better with the younger ones, they're hilarious!

Oh I see, that sounds good - I guess you can pop over and pick up some of the fantastic basses they make out in Japan for us! Navigating some of the Japanese websites can be pretty hard.

Geography at degree level - as I remember it - was pretty much like A level but with drinking in between.

Ditto the comments on teaching. I really wasn't sure, but as I got into better schools towards the end I realised that I will really enjoy it as long as I don't apply to a naff school. When you get a nice group and you are teaching something interesting, it really is excellent.

I won't actually be applying for jobs until the hopefully not-too-distant future because I had an op on my back after my PGCE and I am still waiting for it all to pass. I knew a 110lb 2x10 bass cab was a bad idea. (not really, I don't think it was anything to do with that - Basson cabinets are AMAZING by the way!!)

Cheers fella
ped

Oh and the parking at Harcourt was crap - always full unless you got there at about 7am with the over the top neurotic primary school bunch. The flipside was that I started leaving my car anywhere and leaving it, because I found that the car is impossible to clamp if you lower the suspension right down (a Citroen Xantia) which really annoyed everyone. Once they put cones all round my car in an effort to stop me. Well it didn't of course. Good times.

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='Jam' post='65929' date='Sep 26 2007, 03:44 PM']See now, I have the funk, and I want to be able to play better, but i'm not quite funky enough yet!
I don't think Ped has the time to teach me either. Don't worry. I'll find someone!

And dude, if that's you playing Pow, thank you so much. I think that's the best version i've seen on youtube for learning the song, and you've done other parts as opposed to just the main riff, which is great..

I'm glad I found this site![/quote]

No, it's not me dude I ain't that tight yet! (and have considerably less hair) :)

Glad your likin it though it is a great breakdown of the line.