Why become a member? ×

Down tuning. 2 steps to be exact.

agoulding

Sup.

I have just joined a stoner/doom band that uses C standard tuning. It has been bugging me for a while, I have a selection of basses, and i think i want to use my trb with has a longer scale neck. I think if i even use 50 guage strings it won't be good enough to cope with the tuning. What about if i get a 40 gauge 5 string set, use the lower 4 and tune them up a step? Risky? Or would it be fine? Im not sure.

Another thing aswell, do i risk making the grooves in the nut bigger by using heavier strings and will that effect it if i replace them with standard strings in the future?

Cheers

Edited by agoulding

Sup. [b]Ahoy[/b]

I think if i even use 50 guage strings it won't be good enough to cope with the tuning. [b]I used 50guage on a p-bass drop C for some QOTSA stuff, worked fine [/b]
What about if i get a 40 gauge 5 string set, use the lower 4 and tune them up a step? Risky? Or would it be fine? Im not sure. [b]I once tuned my 5 string squire to C F A# D# G# (up half a step) and it was fine[/b]

Another thing aswell, do i risk making the grooves in the nut bigger by using heavier strings and will that effect it if i replace them with standard strings in the future? [b]Possibly, but not very noticable[/b]

Cheers [b]s'all good[/b]

Edited by WarPig

[quote name='agoulding' post='606548' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:44 AM']HAHA cheers for that.

So, a light 5 string set on a 4 string bass in C standard would be fine dya think?[/quote]

EddieHimself reckons so. It's only half a step above standard. If it's a light set then it should be fine, even a medium would probably do although maybe a bit too heavy for C tuning. The only thing is to adjust the truss rod properly and job should be a goodun. As for the nut, even if it does have a problem then it's pretty easy to replace.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='606588' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:18 PM']Easiest/cheapest is a 50-110 set for drop C. With a 35" scale you'll be fine unless you're into very high tension.[/quote]

Nah i hate high tension thats why i love lighter strings. Keep in mind though it isnt drop C, its C standard. 3 steps down. But i think thats the best option.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='606668' date='Sep 23 2009, 02:26 PM']Get newtone to make some for it, no more expensive than hunting down funny heavy strings or a 5 set, and made ideal for you.[/quote]

I never heard of this "Newtone". Ill have a gander