Why become a member? ×

My new baby

Hoppo75

Hiya folks,

Been a while since I've posted on here,what with life and work and DIY etc, but at long last I've received my new build Jazz copy.....and I just had to share it.

It started out it's life as my uncles 70's Columbus Jazz but was unfortunately knackered (pickups/electrics). So after much pleading with him, he agreed to hand it over and I let loose. I'm not going to overload the site with pics of the actual build itself, but thought it best to put a few on of the actual finished article.

It has a new body (the original was plywood), but I kept the original neck (plays really nice), and had it tidied up. I've kept it passive (Fender SCN's), purely because the sound I can get through my Hartke set up is just outstanding, and I can always add the aphex bass xciter, or even go for the out board Sadowsky should I ever feel the need. It has the most amazing tone, very throaty, yet very full, very deep, yet crunchy, with that almost slightly out of phase sound that we've all come to love from the Jazz. I used the Fender HMV bridge and have gone thru body strung.

I'm in Jazz heaven folks....while not the lovely Roscoe beck or the Jazz DLX FMT that I was gassing for, it looks and sounds so much better than I'd even I pictured it would be.

Anyhoo, fingers are getting itchy again so must dash.

Edited by Hoppo75

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='604926' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:24 PM']Wish my columbus looked like that XD. That headstock looks pretty big for a columbus, i certainly couldn't fit full size tuners on mine.[/quote]

Well, I say Columbus.....

My unc and Dad (who was there at the time), bought it as a Columbus, and they're adamant it's a columbus. However, the headstock was nameless........mmmm????!!!!! (he says, stroking his imaginary beard)

[quote name='Tait' post='604957' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:47 PM']that looks really great mate! the silver with the tort isn't something i would have thought of, but it really works![/quote]

Really kind of you to say so mate.

I orginally had settled for a oly/tort finish, but I remembered years ago getting my hands on a pearl white Bass collection 5 string and thats the colour I fancied. In the flesh it's actually a champagne type finish but my cam couldn't quite get that across.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='605089' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:22 PM']Lovely job! How did you do the engraving on the neck plate & the decals on the headstock?

Rich.[/quote]

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I designed the neck plate text and found a company called FSR custom shop who done the work. Similarly with the decal, I used a company called the decal shop (funnily enough lol). Both superb to deal with, but the neck plate is excellent - job well done by the guy.