Why become a member? ×

Status S1000 Revamp Project

Steve_K

I wound up buying a S1000 Washburn Status with stripped down body and whatnot, and thought I would document the re-finish here to some extent atleast.

Here it is in the state it arrived:

Whole thing has been sanded further and painted black.

About a month ago - The facing wood arrived today . 2 bookmatched pieces of vavona burr - my hand's a little shakey today, it's not this blurry in real life :)

Today - Just taken it out of a press, lovely and flat veneer. I hope to get it attached to the body today, and some rough shaping.

Photos to follow.

[quote name='Steve_K' post='3261' date='May 21 2007, 01:19 AM']Facing was off eBay and it's only .6mm thick, so I won't need to remove any of the original front surface to allow truss rod access, etc.[/quote]

That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for for my project. You don't happen to have a URL for the ebay vendor do you?

Looking foward to more progress pics...

Doh!
I supposed I asked for that....

What I meant was have you been recommended a particular type/brand or will what ever's available at the local DIY store do.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, it's just that you seem to be doing almost exactly what I want to do with my bass (mine's also a Washburn - not a Status type though), so I'm hoping to tap some of your expertise...

[quote name='Steve_K' post='373' date='May 17 2007, 02:46 PM']
Today - Just taken it out of a press, lovely and flat veneer.[/quote]

My veneer arrived today - can I ask how did you get it flat? Just squash it between a couple of flat boards with some weighty objects on top?