Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker replacement pickups...

NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='601292' date='Sep 17 2009, 01:36 PM']Anyone had any experience of these pickups? Similar to Rick tone? I've found one [awful] You Tube video, but little else.

Edit...should add that these are not for a Rick - they're for a Jazz-esque project. My original guts seem to have gone AWOL to another member here, so looking to start again. :)

Cheers
P[/quote]

I've not tried them, but the Rickenbacker forums all seem to suggest they have a much more generic tone than stock rickenbacker pickups. That may or may not be what you're looking for!

I have limited experience at present but will be adding a comprehensive post on my Ric thread after a few more rehearsals and gigs. I will say that it has taken me some time to get anything close to the sound I wanted from the bass as a whole (the result of numerous problems which I guess are part and parcel of putting together a bass). However, having tried various strings, EQs and playing styles, I think I hit the jackpot on Tuesday. I will say that the SD Ric PUPs are a PITA to install, are not direct drop in replacemnt for Rics by any stretch of the imagination (the neck PUP is too small and the bridge too big), the retainer bolts are of extremely dubious quality in that they don't seem to be the right width/thread for the holes they're supposed to fit in, the circuit diagrams misleading and the plastic PUP surround for the bridge PUP probably the cheapest piece of plastic I've ever come across :)

However....

I quite like the sound :rolleyes:

As I said, I'll update the Ric thread when I feel I've something more concrete to say

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='601503' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:49 PM']I have limited experience at present but will be adding a comprehensive post on my Ric thread after a few more rehearsals and gigs. I will say that it has taken me some time to get anything close to the sound I wanted from the bass as a whole (the result of numerous problems which I guess are part and parcel of putting together a bass). However, having tried various strings, EQs and playing styles, I think I hit the jackpot on Tuesday. I will say that the SD Ric PUPs are a PITA to install, are not direct drop in replacemnt for Rics by any stretch of the imagination (the neck PUP is too small and the bridge too big), the retainer bolts are of extremely dubious quality in that they don't seem to be the right width/thread for the holes they're supposed to fit in, the circuit diagrams misleading and the plastic PUP surround for the bridge PUP probably the cheapest piece of plastic I've ever come across :)

However....

I quite like the sound :rolleyes:

As I said, I'll update the Ric thread when I feel I've something more concrete to say

Chris[/quote]

I was just composing a PM to you!

I'm thinking about dropping them into [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53575&hl="]this[/url]; as you'll see by the cavities (not pretty), the necessity of whether or not the screws line up etc. isn't so important. There's some cheapish sets up on eBay (USA) at the moment (£120.00). I was (and still am) interested in whether they have the clank.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='601292' date='Sep 17 2009, 01:36 PM']Anyone had any experience of these pickups? Similar to Rick tone? I've found one [awful] You Tube video, but little else.
Edit...should add that these are not for a Rick - they're for a Jazz-esque project.
Cheers
P[/quote]

they are wired for series or parallel...4 wires
i used them and wired each series
ricks are single coil so the sound really cant be the same unless you wire just one coil in each...waste of money then
the sound i did get was non ric ...non clanky
smooth and well defined with no noise from hum
if you fit them to a rick you need to do something with the bridge pup plastic bit ....the s-d pup is a little twin bar magnet design and iirc wont just fit in without getting rid of the phoney horseshit...shoe...sorry magnet looka like
s-d supply a little plastic cover which masks a bit but really requires some extra work
yours
rick...NOT!

Edited by mrcrow