Why become a member? ×

High Gain Bass Distortion

higgins666

Well, my guitarist has started using my Blackstar HT-DistX (my main dirt pedal) for his higher gain pedal, I don't really mind, because I'm using his rackmount multi-fx unit (Boss SX-700) all the time for my delays & such. But, some of our song do need a nice high gain dirt bass sound for when the guitars drop out, or when I need to fill up abit more sonic space, so could anyone suggest to me a relativly cheap pedal I can use, I'm happy to go used, & in the local guitar shop, I tried afew out that I quite liked (as in, could get a decent, useable, sound out off, but not much more) they where (don't shoot me) the Boss MT-2 & Digitech Deathmetal. Would anyone be able to suggest some more for me to demo?

Edit: My band is a hard rock band (if you want sub-genres... well, that's where it gets tricky, were abit of a mix of prog, classic rock, modern rock, metal, industrial, shoegaze & blues)

My current set up is a Dean Demonator/Traben Chaos Obsession/Fender P-Bass Special -> Korg Pitchblack -> Ashdown LoMenzo Hyperdrive (set up for alittle bit of grit) -> USA Big Muff (soon to be replaced with a Devi Ever Super Massive Black Hole clone) -> Nobels Phaser -> Hartke LH500 (with the SX-700 in the FX loop) -> Marshal VBC 412.

Also, please, I've got my fuzz sorted, so there's no need for a suggestion like a Bass Big Muff, & my mild OD is sorted.

Pretty much, to describe the tone I'm looking for it's similar to Lemmy's, but with a rocket shoved up it's arse. Or a bass friendly Mesa Tripple Rectifier.

Actually, I'll try tweaking to get a heavy sound out of the Hyperdrive, then maybe find a lighter OD tone, something along the lines of a Digitech Bad Monkey might do the job for the lighter tone. Pretty much I'm looking for afew different tones, similar to the following artists.

Clean - Similar to Rex Brown on Slaughtered
Light to Mid OD - Similar to Land Phil on the intro to Sadistic Magician
Heavy OD - Similar to Lemmy (is there really a "good" example of Lemmy's tone? It's in all his material)
Fuzz - Similar to Troy Sanders in most Mastodon

Think I could get the light to mid OD tone from a Bad Monkey?

Ok, so after trying & failing to get more than a nicely driven sound from my Hyperdrive, I've had a quick look on teh interwebs & BassFuzz.com, & descovered the Barber Dirty Bomb! It sounds really really good from the various demos that I've listened to, & i think I'll pick one up when I get the cash (I'm planning on selling my Blackstar pedal to my guitarist, he did offer to a couple of weeks ago & I told him that I'd need to find another distortion pedal first, so it shouldn't take long). Now, all I have to do is wait for my Devi Ever clone to be made, pick up a tremolo & spend a good few hours re-aranging & tweaking my board.