Why become a member? ×

Quick deiscion needed!

TRadford

Im about to buy a bass, but Im not sure which to go for, its between these..

Vintage 800BL brand new £99 + £15 p&p

Ibanez SR300 DX used £125 posted

YAMAHA RBX374 used with chip on body £150 + £11 p&p

Dean Rhapsody 5 string used for sale on this fourm £150

Im just a beginner, but fed up of the crappy unbrabded bass Im borrowing from a friend. I want something that I can resell if it turns out I cant play.
I cant go to a shop to try any out at the moment as Im housebound :)

My music styles are rock/metal, but as Im learning Ill play anything I think I can learn.

Any others to chuck into the mix??

Ibanez is looking good them.
The only thing I forgot to mention, the Ibanez Im looking at only has 3 knobs, wheras a lot of other ones I have seen on online shops have 4. Is this something to be concerned about or is the 4 knob just a newer model?
Also is the 3 knob one active or passive?, I cant seem to find it anywhere.

The Ibanez for me. The SR series is great value for money, and I really have never played a bad Ibanez. Their quality control is second to none, even at the cheap end of heir range.

I imagine the three knob version is passive with vol, vol tone controls. The four knob will be active. That's just speculation though - it should be fairly easy to check out from the Ibanez website.

FWIW my son used to have one of the Yamaha RBX models. Personally, I didn't think the build quality was quite up to Yamaha's usual standards - it felt a bit cheap to me, but that's just my opinion. In terms of sound they're nice.

I've only played Dean basses at trade fairs, so can't really comment on the Rhapsody. I suspect they're nice basses - decisive factor is likely to be whether you want four or five strings I suspect!

You mention re-sale - IMO the Ibanez and Yamaha are likely to be easier to move on in the future

[quote name='TRadford' post='594671' date='Sep 10 2009, 12:24 PM']Ah ok, so it has like two knobs on one then?[/quote]
Exactly so. You can see the dual concentric knob here - [url="http://www.edmondmusicinc.com/servlet/the-355/Ibanez-SR300DX-Bass-Guitar/Detail"]http://www.edmondmusicinc.com/servlet/the-...s-Guitar/Detail[/url]