Why become a member? ×

Yet another head and cab query

bobbass4k

It's been a strange week, my new landlord accidently threw out my trace combo (I honestly don't know how, the seething rage hasn't subsided yet)

The good news he's offered to replace it to the tune of £300, I was planning to replace it anyway as I've been wanting to move to a more powerful head and cab setup for years, so I'm gonna spend the £300 on one of them and spend £200-£250 on the other (might be able to stretch to another £300)

So basically I'm just wondering whats out there at that kind of price point, i'm pretty uneducated about seperate heads and cabs (understand impedance and wattage everything, I mean manufacturers and sounds etc.), general opinions one which to spend the more money on, 2'nd hand is obviously preferable, needs wise, it's only gonna see small to medium gigging, so 300w into 8ohms is probably good but obviously more is also good, cab wise i'm pretty settled on a 4x10 ideally with a tweeter or a horn, very happy with my dirt pedal set up so I'm not bothered about the dirtiness of the head

Cheers

There were a couple of Eden's combos with etn cabs for that sort of figure but you'd need to hear them.
Should expect 500watts in that config
Quality stuff

Markbass 210 combo..forget the model but a great little set-up..

I would suggest these amps like a cleaner sound so it depends what you want to hear and are playing, IMV

TE is decent and you can pick the stuff up cheaply, if you want to stick with what you know..

or this head

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44786"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44786[/url]

Edited by JTUK

Given the usual weight of Trace Elliot stuff I find it difficult to believe hoe somebody could 'accidently' throw it away!

Well, you couldn't really go wrong with another piece of Trace gear, lots of second hand stuff about and it generally does the job (in my biased opinion anyway!)

In terms of new cabs, I personally don't think you can go far wrong with the Peavey TVX range. Headwise, I think that the the GK backline and Peavey tour series series seems to be worth a look.

in terms of getting quality though I would look second hand, you never know what awesome piece of gear you will find.

I have recently moved from a Trace 122H - GP12 pre-amp 300watt combo 2 x 10 with Hf horn to a Peavey MkVI head and 410TVX cab and I am chuffed to bits. The new rig wipes the floor with the Trace in terms of low end ummph, punch and volume. With the graphic set flat it produces, in my opinion, a great sound. Gain control half way up and your audience feels your bass as well as hearing it. It's built like a tank and will probably outlive me. The trade off is that it weighs as much as a tank too (but any decent 4x10 probably will).

Peavey MkVI head - £80
Peavey 4ohm 410TVX - £120
The look on my bandmate's faces (who asked "Why have you sold your Trace?") when I fired it up - Priceless :)