Why become a member? ×

Warwick bass question

jmsjabb

Hi,

A German Warwick will usually have a Wenge or Wenge/Ovangkol neck (depending on its vintage) and usually a premium body wood - (Ovangkol, Bubinga, Flamed Maple, Swamp Ash etc). They will also have better electronics. They sound superior as a result of this.

The Rockbasses are made in East Asia, usually with Maple/Rosewood necks, an Alder body and cheaper hardware and electronics.

All the info on the models can be found here.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/start/start.php"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/start/start.php[/url]

If it's a Corvette you are after I'd you might want to hold out for a second-hand Warwick Corvette on the "For Sale" board - they can be bought for very reasonable prices. If you want to buy a new one then Thomann are doing a good price on Corvettes at the moment:-

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_4_nat.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_4_nat.htm[/url]

If you want to buy a Rockbass then you should wait untill next year when they release the new Rockbass range. These will ditch the nasty "Rockbass" logo and have a two piece bridge like the German models.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='586978' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:58 PM']Can anyone tell me the differences between the Rockbass and the standard Corvette Basses.
I know the Rockbass is the cheap end, but what makes the range get more expensive?[/quote]

Edited by rjb

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='587203' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:32 AM']Thanks Guys. I think I want a Corvette in bubinga.[/quote]
Definitely try before you buy. Bubinga is very dense and makes the bass very heavy. The Corvette is also available in Swamp Ash which would make it lighter and more comfortable to play if you play standing up for long periods. Nothing a nice wide strap can't counter-act, but definitely try before you buy.

I think the Rockbass Active 'vette has the same electrics and pickups as the German one, passive MEC Js with a 2 band active eq. I was impressed with the sound and feel of the Rockbass i tried but for the money go with a second hand German one. Should be under £400, eBay is a great place to pick up a cheap Warwick although the prices are creeping up

I just bought a new Corvette standard ash fretless. The neck profile has very recently changed. Much less chunky than my '96 fretted Corvette $$.

The above posts answer your question about the difference with the RBs.

I would totally agree with lemmywinks, go for a SH German Wick from ebay. Ovangkol necks are wonderful.

I was looking at both the Warwick and the Rockbass Corvette's at the weekend. I wanted a sub £400 bass and thought the Rockbass looked ideal. It was ok, but when I saw them in the shop, I didn't like the hight gloss finish much. My girlfriend then told me to try the natural oil finish Warwick which I did, and what a difference! The whole thing just seemed so much better! Nicer woods, nicer sound and the oil finish is so much nicer. My girlfriend (bless her) insisted that I had it, so how could I refuse? We even managed to get them to knock £80 off the asking price and got it for £640. I'll be taking her with me when I go to look for my new amp sometime in the future, thats for sure!

[quote name='peted' post='587269' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:56 AM']Definitely try before you buy. Bubinga is very dense and makes the bass very heavy. The Corvette is also available in Swamp Ash which would make it lighter and more comfortable to play if you play standing up for long periods. Nothing a nice wide strap can't counter-act, but definitely try before you buy.[/quote]

Mind you, the Bubinga model sounds very different to the Ash model (and it sounds waaaaay better too IMO!). They are such different beasts, and when you hear a Bubinga one you'll realise why they cost more!