Why become a member? ×

alesis sr16

Geek99

hi - i read the manual several times and these questions are not answered. Could someone enlighten me?

1) If i want to program a song where pattern 1A and pattern 1B are used like this:

START
1A (one bar long) repeats [b]four [/b]times
1B (one bar long) repeats [b]ten [/b]times
END

Do I really need to program [b]fourteen[/b] song steps in total? Is there a better way of getting the patterns to repeat X times? I know that I could make pattern 1A four bars long, by programming the same thing for four bars but thats getting a bit painful, especially for longer patterns that repeat like 1B a lot of times. I suppose I could copy the pattern to itself several times to lengthen it but that makes a later small tweak to the pattern painful.

2) Is there someway to set a specific drum set for each song? (in the way you set tempo for each)?
thanks

I asked my good friend Phil about this as I remembered he had one.
Here is his reply:

I only ever used the SR16 as a midi sound module, not as a sequencer. However, against my better judgement I dug out my sr16 and investigated this…

In Song Compose mode, if you press play, it keeps duplicating the current pattern, so starting with an empty song, you can:

select pattern 1a,

play,

stop in step 4,

move to step 5

select pattern 1b

play

stop in step 14

There you have the desired 14 bar song.

I suspect Geek99 is probably correct about the other limitations.

- Phil.

It's all greek (99!) to me, but I hope it helps.
Cheers
Jules

thanks for that tip - I did wonder why the PLAY button, which seems to act as a [b]save[/b] function in most other places seemed a bit wierd. I think the problem is that manual is so good in some places and so bad in others that I start to wonder if I'm being stupid when referring to it and failing to find answers.
The answers appear to be [b]yes [/b]and [b]no[/b] respectively.