Why become a member? ×

Gig bags - Tom & Will?

padmavyuha

I'm looking out for a more winter-proof soft case for my bass - the one that came with it is pretty flimsy, and as I live out in the countryside, travelling about with the DB will involve sharp changes of temperature.

I'm looking at [url="http://www.tomandwill.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=SAA-BS34-GB&title=tom+and+will+SAA-BS+3%2F4+size+Premium+Double+Bass+Case+%2825mm+padding%29+in+Grey+and+Black+%3CFONT+COLOR%3D%22%23FF0000%22%3E6.0Kg%3C%2FFONT%3E"]Tom & Will[/url] gig bags. For the price (₤155), they look like the most sturdy and adaptable - 25mm padding, wheels, backpack shoulder straps all sounds very useful to me.

Does anyone have any experience of these - durability etc.?

[quote name='padmavyuha' post='580237' date='Aug 25 2009, 02:08 PM']I'm looking out for a more winter-proof soft case for my bass - the one that came with it is pretty flimsy, and as I live out in the countryside, travelling about with the DB will involve sharp changes of temperature.

I'm looking at [url="http://www.tomandwill.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=SAA-BS34-GB&title=tom+and+will+SAA-BS+3%2F4+size+Premium+Double+Bass+Case+%2825mm+padding%29+in+Grey+and+Black+%3CFONT+COLOR%3D%22%23FF0000%22%3E6.0Kg%3C%2FFONT%3E"]Tom & Will[/url] gig bags. For the price (₤155), they look like the most sturdy and adaptable - 25mm padding, wheels, backpack shoulder straps all sounds very useful to me.

Does anyone have any experience of these - durability etc.?[/quote]
Sorry I've never tried these, but I've seen them in use and I'd be concerned about those wheels. I can't imagine they'd be usable except on very flat level surfaces, like indoors on a tiled floor. And what happens if/when they break?

I've got a Ritter, which is the best I've had, and which a lot of other upright players have admired. It's pretty tough and certainly showerproof. Lots of handles, which is good for maneouvering, but they do get caught on things sometimes.

I've not used that specific case, but a couple of points in general- if you're using the wheels, make sure they're not putting pressure/friction on the bass itself- my bass has noticeable chips in the finish from where the rivets that hold the wheels on rub. Also, IME backpack straps are almost useless on a DB case, unless you're about twice my height or play a tiny bass. I've had better luck with a strap that loops around the endpin at one end and the neck at the other- much easier than trying to use the backpack straps.

Hope that helps to some extent :)

edit- I think [url="http://www.thesoundpost.co.uk/cases%20bags%20westbury%20bass.htm"]this[/url] is the case I have- that supplier is trade only but I ended up paying about the same as the one you're looking at. The Violin Shop in Glasgow ordered it specially for me as I needed one bigger than the ones they normally stock.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

Thanks, both - I think the Ritter is a better bet, though pricier - but I think I've tracked one down 2nd hand, so that may be the answer.

I hadn't really given thought to whether the wheel fittings on the T&W are adequately padded on the inside, I'd have to see one to tell. Wheels are probably not important anyway. As for backpack straps, I'm 6'3" so height isn't a problem in one direction, though someone else pointed out that it's easy to bash your bass's neck against doorframes (and even ceilings, joists etc.) if you're not being careful. I guess I'll have to cultivate a team of willing groupies to carry it for me - motivation to become a good bassist :).

Edited by padmavyuha

Yeah, I'm about 6' and found it difficult to get the bass high enough on the backpack straps to avoid having it banging into the back of your legs while also avoiding doorframes, bus stops, signs etc. As always though, your mileage may vary. FWIW I like having the wheels but will need to do something preventative if I start taking my bass out again- she's been sadly neglected of late.

I appreciate my avatar may cancel out any opinions I have on this subject (unless someone views this 6 months later when I may change it!) but I looked into Tom&Will and they looked good. I actually went for a cheaper make in the end through my local music store which is great. The shoulder straps are a joke though. I'm just over 6'2" and, well, forget this option quite frankly!

Yes, the more I think about it the less I want to sling it on both shoulders, since one of my shoulders is iffy - and I have no idea how much this bass in its case is going to weigh yet. Oh, for a hoverboard. Meanwhile I'll stick with slinging it over one shoulder if necessary.

Edited by padmavyuha

I have a T&W padded gig case. All in all I am quite satisfied with it. The wheels are pretty good and work on almost of sorts of terrain, The inside is very well padded and can safely say that have not damaged the bass. The shoulder straps, like most of you, I find them almost impossible, the bottom of the bass keeps hitting my legs, quite painfully too.

Nello

Nobody seems to have mentioned the removable wheel - ie a wheel which is attached to a replacement endpin. I recently got one of these and its great for wheeling the bass longish distances, say to the car park down the road. It only takes a second to change the endpin and stash it in the case. I know several players who swear by these things. It takes all the strain off your back. However you still need to lift the bass slightly when going over kerbs etc.
And I did hear a story of a London bass player who smashed his bass up when rushing to catch a tube train - care needs to be taken when you have the wheel attached as it can slide away from you.

The Major