Why become a member? ×

Happy with my sound but require more power

alanbass1

I'm currently running a Markbass TA501 amp into Bergantino HT112ER and EX112ER cabs. I'm really happy with the sound and am especially impressed with the onboard compressor on the TA501 and for 90% of the gigs we do the power is (more than) adequate. However, there are a number of venues where a little more power would help to retain the headroom in the amp/speakers which gives me the definition in sound I want to retain. So I was thinking of adding a power amp to the equation and was thinking of getting the same power stage as the TA501. Is it a simple case of getting something like the LMII and using the effects return to patch into the power stage? Also, I notice that Markbass now do separate powerframes in their MoMark series. Again, is it simply a case of patching into their effects return on the power frame or would I have to purchase the pre-amp modules as well for the power frame to operate?

Once I have the power stage sorted I will have the option of adding more speakers if/when required.

Edited by alanbass1

I can't see more power making much difference unless you add more speakers at the same time. Slaving a power amp or head from your current Markbass head and then running one or two more EX112ERs should do the job.

Think you might have to change the FX send internally to post EQ to drive the slave amp with the full tone of your head.

Alex