Why become a member? ×

Question about Stainless Steel strings

Sazgo

On friday i had to replace the strings on a MM sub(assumed it had stock factory ones still on it) as the A and E were starting to rattle/buzz and deceided to try ernie ball slinky stainless steel ones.

Ive only used nickel strings in the past and thats what i currently use on my other basses. I was quite shocked when i put them on the bass. I loved the tone before but now its completely lost it. The tinny acoustic sound coming from playing with a pick alone is quite overpowering without even going through the amp. To practice i have to turn the amp up very high and its still nothing like it was before. Anyone within 30 feet can clearly hear it. I pretty much only use a pick when i play this bass didnt try the fingerstyle tone.

The tone of an open string or on the upper frets (1-3) is aweful, its so zingy and metallic. Its only when i play on frets 9+ that it loses that sound. Ive always been told to give strings a few days before they get their tone but ive never experienced this with nickels. Will this sound go away after sometime as right now i would rather put the old buzzy strings in until i can replace them for another set of nickels its become such a horrible bass to play.

Edited by Sazgo

[quote name='Sazgo' post='578070' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:10 AM']On friday i had to replace the strings on a MM sub(assumed it had stock factory ones still on it) as the A and E were starting to rattle/buzz and deceided to try ernie ball slinky stainless steel ones.

Ive only used nickel strings in the past and thats what i currently use on my other basses. I was quite shocked when i put them on the bass. I loved the tone before but now its completely lost it. The tinny acoustic sound coming from playing with a pick alone is quite overpowering without even going through the amp. To practice i have to turn the amp up very high and its still nothing like it was before. Anyone within 30 feet can clearly hear it. I pretty much only use a pick when i play this bass didnt try the fingerstyle tone.

The tone of an open string or on the upper frets (1-3) is aweful, its so zingy and metallic. Its only when i play on frets 9+ that it loses that sound. Ive always been told to give strings a few days before they get their tone but ive never experienced this with nickels. Will this sound go away after sometime as right now i would rather put the old buzzy strings in until i can replace them for another set of nickels its become such a horrible bass to play.[/quote]

stainless steel strings will sound brighter with more zing (and IMO rattle) than nickels. Presonally I find nickels far nicer to play then Steels. That having been said, the steels will lose some of the brightness, and some swear by the tone. It really depends what suits you.

I've tried loads of steels and loads of brands. I always come back to Ernire Ball nickels.

I *love* my Overwater nickel strings, a really warm sound with no zing whatsoever. They (medium guage extended scale) are quite high tension so little buzz but action is still pretty low.

The best quality SS strings I tried were the DR HiBeams, but they were a bit buzzy, and gave the low notes a "piano tone" which wasn't for me.

Edited by sdgrsr400