Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Acoustic Image Focus 2 for sale *SOLD*

Gareth Hughes

Hey Folks -

Up for sale is my Acoustic Image Focus 2 (series 2) amplifier. Amp is about 4 years old and has never had any problems. In very good condition, thanks to the included soft case that it was always taken out in. (The case isn't immaculate, but then that's the point of cases, right?)

Amp is 600 watts and capable of powering a driving rock band, despite it's name. I used to run this into an Ashdown BP1510 (2x10 and 1x15) in an original rock band and it never let me down.

The high-pass filter is perfect for removing unnecessary infra-sonic frequencies that eat up head room, and also for taming those boomy stages from hell, whilst still retaining a powerful bass sound.

Dual voltage switch makes it a perfect touring amp as it's easy to take into the overhead plane compartment.

These amps retail for about £1100 (for the new model). I'm asking £500 plus shipping (which won't be much as these things are so small and light).

Here's all the guff from Acoustic Image:

Preamp
Mic Input : 600 Ohm balanced, XLR connector
Phantom Power : 38 volts, on/off switch
Instrument Inputs : Low impedance (1 M.), High Impedance (10 M.), separately buffered
Direct Out : +4 dB, balanced, XLR connector, ground lift
Effects Loop : Parallel type, 1/4" jack w/ return level control
Bass Control : Shelving type, ±15 dB @ 60 Hz
Mid Control : ±15 dB @ 650 kHz
Treble Control : Shelving type, ±15 dB @ 10 kHz
Brite Control : ±15 dB @ 9 kHz
Notch Filter : -18 dB sweepable from 30 to 700 Hz
High Pass Filter : -12 dB/octave sweepable from 30 to 700 Hz

• Extended frequency range, balanced, high-fidelity sound
• Compact powder-coated enclosure (10x9x2.5 inches)
• Light weight F2=5lbs
• Integrated preamp and power amp
• Two channel preamp (mic and instrument)
• Phantom power for mic or outboard preamp
• High impedance/low impedance instrument inputs
• Four-band EQ for each channel (bass, mid, treble, brite)
• Input and master level controls
• Effects loop in each channel (parallel, not insert)
• Level control on effects return
• Switchable notch/high pass filter
• Balanced direct out via XLR connector
• Ground lift switch on direct out
• 600 Watt switch mode power amplifier
• Dual speaker outputs via Neutrik Speakon connectors
• Switchable dual voltage operation (115/230V)
• Detachable AC power cord
• Comes with padded case, 6 foot power cable

Edited by Gareth Hughes

These really are great amps, and at this price a definite bargain. Not just for double bass, whatever that is plugged in sounds great.
If your looking for light weight, loud and lovely then buy this :)

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks Tom - you're absolutely right. This sounds great with electric too. And even tho it has 2 channels, it actually has 5 simultaneously usable inputs. Both 1/4 inch jacks can be used at the same time, plus the mic channel - and then both effect returns can be used - all at the same time without degrading any of the other signals. Very flexible for small gigs - I've had a singer/double bass/guitar and keyboard all going thru this at once!!

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='577553' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:41 PM']I'm kind of interested in this. I've actually being looking for an AI Clarus but for the price you've got on the Focus, I'm considering it. Do you know how the two compare?

Cheers[/quote]

Hey gnasher1993 - thanks for the interest. Tone wise they are the same, as they share an identical preamp. I used to have a Coda combo, which has the Clarus as it's amp section, and the Focus is identical is sound and function, only with more watts.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='577555' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:43 PM']Hey gnasher1993 - thanks for the interest. Tone wise they are the same, as they share an identical preamp. I used to have a Coda combo, which has the Clarus as it's amp section, and the Focus is identical is sound and function, only with more watts.[/quote]

I'm gona have a serious think about this one.

Thanks for the information,

AJ

Hey gnasher1993-
The manual says it puts out 350w into an 8 ohm load. In practical terms I've used the head paired with an Epifani UL112 cab or an Aguilar GS112 (both 300w rating) and never had it past 5 on the master volume when playing with a drummer and guitarist.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='579682' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:06 PM']Hey gnasher1993-
The manual says it puts out 350w into an 8 ohm load. In practical terms I've used the head paired with an Epifani UL112 cab or an Aguilar GS112 (both 300w rating) and never had it past 5 on the master volume when playing with a drummer and guitarist.[/quote]

350w sounds perfect. I was thinking of getting an Avatar 112 that's rated at 500w at ohms. So it should be ok. I'm seriously considering this one.