Why become a member? ×

Getting an Endorsement

matt_citizenbass

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='574205' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:20 PM']Was that the band on Orange Unsigned? I thought they were still going?[/quote]

Look at you go today! No, the band folded, then three of the original members asked the rest of us if we minded them using the same name to carry on. Anything else your honour?

[quote name='MythSte' post='574216' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:27 PM']Look at you go today! No, the band folded, then three of the original members asked the rest of us if we minded them using the same name to carry on. Anything else your honour?[/quote]

No further questions. Just sounded like a ploy to get you out of the band?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='574221' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:30 PM']No further questions. Just sounded like a ploy to get you out of the band?[/quote]

Heh! Your probably right, There was seven of us, I'd never thought of it as a sort of musical nazi cleansing! Ah the conspiracy unfolds...

[quote name='MythSte' post='574225' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:32 PM']Heh! Your probably right, There was seven of us, I'd never thought of it as a sort of musical nazi cleansing! Ah the conspiracy unfolds...[/quote]

At least there wasn't any deaths involved.

[i]was there...?[/i]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='574229' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:34 PM']Shame about that band, I thought there was a lot of potential there.

Was there an unbearable dickhead in it, was that the issue? There's always one of those. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Alas! One of those people that did things and you just though, Are you [i]serious[/i]?! I thought there was a good chance there too, the new stuff theyve got going on is well worth checking out, the recordings are brilliant but the live show doesnt have that "oomph" anymore.

And as for death, i could be posting this from beyond the grave... :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='574237' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:40 PM']Alas! One of those people that did things and you just though, Are you [i]serious[/i]?![/quote]

Those sorts of people are good to have in bands, right up to the point where they're suddenly not.

Like the singer who de-kegged our percussionist while he was carrying a tray of drinks, leaving his meat & two veg dangling in the faces of the nice men from Sony.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='574245' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:43 PM']Those sorts of people are good to have in bands, right up to the point where they're suddenly not.

Like the singer who de-kegged our percussionist while he was carrying a tray of drinks, leaving his meat & two veg dangling in the faces of the nice men from Sony.[/quote]

Did you get the deal?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='574251' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:47 PM']Did you get the deal?[/quote]

They did offer us a deal but our manager thought we could do better, but the manager dropped us eventually! He said he could page Billy Joel and he'd get back to him within the hour, but if he paged James (our singer) it would be three days. We split up shortly after that because it was the singer's band and he was becoming increasingly unreliable.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='574258' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:55 PM']They did offer us a deal but our manager thought we could do better, but the manager dropped us eventually! He said he could page Billy Joel and he'd get back to him within the hour, but if he paged James (our singer) it would be three days. We split up shortly after that because it was the singer's band and he was becoming increasingly unreliable.[/quote]

Sounds about right... singers. The Shadows got it right. Ditch Cliff.

Endorsements are not always what they seem. My mate was in with ampeg for a while and it was more hassle than it was worth. They did an Euro tour and he was having to pick up a new amp from a different store every few days. He was not allowed to keep one for the two months, it seemed to be a pain. Im in negotiations at the moment, will keep you posted.T

There's only certain things I'd want endorsements for. Until I can find an amp company whose amps do exactly what I want, as well as me liking their heads AND cabs, I wouldn't want an amp endorsement. Strings would be awesome. And plectrums. You know, the consumables that add up.

I don't like being tied down.

Now food and clothing endorsements? That would be nice.

I have endorsements for Strings, Cables, Picks and Cases.

I just emailed companies and some got back to me. I gig a lot in a lot of different places, so their products are being gigged in front of loads and loads of people.

I dont get free stuff, i get cheap stuff. Packs of strings costs me about £5 a pack, i get double sided custom plectrums for about 20p each. All i have to do is put a banner on the bands myspace.

If you're reaching enough people, companies will want to use you to advertise their products and if i'm getting cheap stuff then i'm not complaining. When you're playing everynight the amount of money you end up spending on strings/picks/cables etc really adds up, so every little helps.

I think I mentioned this on another endorsement thread a while back, but, about 6 years back, when I was in my old band, I managed to score a Warwick endorsement. The band was doing pretty well at the time, we'd just come off doing a big festival, had the album coming out, and so on. We sent our press kit to M.A.D. (who were distributing Warwick at the time), they liked it, and offered me a bass at 50% off trade price. I ordered a Streamer Jazzman 5, played it for a couple of gigs, but couldn't really get on with it (yep, it was the horrible big fat neck). Ended up telling them "thanks, but no thanks", and sold the bass on eBay for double what I paid for it. :) Back then was quite a good time to approach Warwick if you lived in the UK - they'd lost a lot of their most visible UK artists at that point. Stuart Zender had left Jamiroquai and left the spotlight, One Minute Silence (Glen Diani was a Warwick endorser) had split up, Jack Bruce was being seen out with his old Gibson... they needed endorsees.

The two guitarists in the band were also offered an endorsement deal with ESP, but they went along to the distributor's warehouse, and couldn't find anything they liked enough to promote, so they ended up doing the thanks-but-no-thanks thing too.