Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN: Vintage Russian Big Muff

entropicp

So it wouldn't neccesarily be good for stoner/doom type sound? That's what I'm going for. Supercollider would be ideal I think. My issue with the Muff is that it's seriously big and heavy (physically as well as sonically ) and I'm getting sick of carrying it around with me to practice and I want something a bit more compact for my pedal board, which I plan to put together soon.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='568285' date='Aug 13 2009, 06:47 PM']It's not a muff clone, it's a very high gain silicon fuzz, kind of biting/searing crunch, got that lovely spluttery devi decay, but it doesn't like active basses[/quote]

[quote name='entropicp' post='568294' date='Aug 13 2009, 06:58 PM']So it wouldn't neccesarily be good for stoner/doom type sound? That's what I'm going for. Supercollider would be ideal I think. My issue with the Muff is that it's seriously big and heavy (physically as well as sonically ) and I'm getting sick of carrying it around with me to practice and I want something a bit more compact for my pedal board, which I plan to put together soon.[/quote]
you want to play doom and you can't be arsed to carry a pedal around? ;o please don't tell me you play doom on a littlemark II aswell!

by the way this is all merely in jest ;<

[quote name='entropicp' post='568294' date='Aug 13 2009, 06:58 PM']So it wouldn't neccesarily be good for stoner/doom type sound? That's what I'm going for. Supercollider would be ideal I think. My issue with the Muff is that it's seriously big and heavy (physically as well as sonically ) and I'm getting sick of carrying it around with me to practice and I want something a bit more compact for my pedal board, which I plan to put together soon.[/quote]

Funnily enough I'm interested in the muff because I might be getting a stoner/desert rock band together and a muff is pretty much a neccessity. I wouldn't get a cherry pop to replace a muff as they are different, but the cherry pop is defintley usable, it's got a high end sizzle that cuts through the mix, wheras a muff tends to cut you out of the mix

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='568313' date='Aug 13 2009, 07:18 PM']Funnily enough I'm interested in the muff because I might be getting a stoner/desert rock band together and a muff is pretty much a neccessity. I wouldn't get a cherry pop to replace a muff as they are different, but the cherry pop is defintley usable, it's got a high end sizzle that cuts through the mix, wheras a muff tends to cut you out of the mix[/quote]

Re: Umph - No, the slow tempos slow down my metabolism and brain and make me lazy...I am carrying around a couple of other pedals too so it all adds up. I get to play doom through whatever crappy amp the practice space I use has available - usually an ashdown or peavey, which suck! I would only use a markbass with my 15-string fretless in highly endangered Bubinga and purple wenge with an LED fretboard. :) (jk) Like yr band btw.

Re BobBass4k- Cherry Pop prolly isn't what I'd want then. It's hard to tell fuzz sounds from youtube. I think hyperion is the DE pedal I'd be after. You're giving me second thoughts about getting rid of the muff now! My band isn't strictly doom. We're all over the place at the moment...math rock, stoner, free noise + the doom. I don't think we're exactly sure what we want do yet.

My girlfriend has dissuaded me from selling for the time being. She says it has character and that they don't make pedals as awesome as that any more. ...and she's right. I never that I'd actually hear her encouraging me not to get rid of a pedal! So I'm going to keep it at and wait to buy a supercollider as well.

[quote name='entropicp' post='568434' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:34 PM']My girlfriend has dissuaded me from selling for the time being. She says it has character and that they don't make pedals as awesome as that any more.[/quote]

Good call. That's the most battered Sovtek Muff I think I've ever seen but it is awesome.

The Supercollider will definitely do what you want, but I bet it won't sound a million miles away from the green muff you've got now. Lots of old green muffs used in Doom bands! Another pedal to look into is the Sanford&Sonny Bluebeard / Fuzzrocious Green Stache (which are just built from GGG tuned muff kits).

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='568575' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:30 AM']Another pedal to look into is the Sanford&Sonny Bluebeard / Fuzzrocious Green Stache (which are just built from GGG tuned muff kits).[/quote]

I think Sanford&Sonny would disagree with that. It's still true. They'd just disagree.