Why become a member? ×

Adam Black Titan - anyone used one? Need a review

lanark

Hi

I'm new to the world of bass guitars so I'm looking to pick up a first instrument for as little as possible, but want one that's going to last me until I decide to upgrade vountarily, rather than because I bought a heap of crud.

A guitar shop nearby has stock of Adam Black Titan basses for under £100 (rrp £200) but I can't find any reviews in the usual places. I was wondering if anyone on here has used one and how they compare to the usual entry level guitars, like Squiers, Staggs etc.

Also - for practice with a band (not for gigs) how much wattage do I need for an amp? 20W, 30W more? We're playing salsa, so I'm playing with percussionists, horns and a piano.

Thanks in advance for the help - this is my first post, so hello and I hope it's in the right place.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a review of one in Bass Guitar Magazine (Issue 23). They gave it 66 out of an overall 100. Best way to find out is to try it out. Im sure the shop wont mind! I practise with a 15w amp alone in my bedroom, Im not sure what you would need for salsa. Im sure there will be someone on here with some greater knowledge!

Well, I bought an Adam Black Apollo (4 string fretted, 24 frets, neck through construction, kind of shaped a bit like a Gibson ripper) a couple of days ago from the bay for the huge sum of £58. My example is a bit battered and seems to have 'fallen off' a strap at some point judging by the massive ding in the body but the build quality is nice, the hardware seems pretty solid and the sound at practice volume at home seems pretty good too. It's going to be my back up bass for gigs, so I deliberately went super cheap on the grounds that I wouldn't care if it got dropped, stolen or further mutilated in some way. That said, unless it sounds truly horrible at our next practice, I'd probably miss it if something happened to it. Personally, I'd happily chance £100 on a new one, if that's what you're thinking of doing - just accept that it's probably not going to have a fantastic setup and may need a bit of fiddling with the intonation and string height.

[quote name='lanark' post='564783' date='Aug 10 2009, 11:07 AM']A guitar shop nearby has stock of Adam Black Titan basses for under £100 (rrp £200) but I can't find any reviews in the usual places. I was wondering if anyone on here has used one and how they compare to the usual entry level guitars, like Squiers, Staggs etc.

Also - for practice with a band (not for gigs) how much wattage do I need for an amp? 20W, 30W more? We're playing salsa, so I'm playing with percussionists, horns and a piano.[/quote]
I think those Adam Black basses are meant to be pretty neck heavy. I reckon you could get a better bass 2nd hand for the same money.
If you have a go on the Adam Black bass, and like it, then it'll probably work out ok for you. But there are a lot of other instruments that can easily compete with it for your cash.

Amp wise, I reckon at least 100W is in order; probably more. I wish that us bass players could turn up with a 50W combo like guitarists do, but it's just not viable. Well, not if you want to be heard, and to hear yourself.

I'd rather have a more powerful amp on half power than a less powerful amp running flat out. I've tried the latter, and it's not nice sounding, or healthy for the amp.

Good luck.
H&R

• 2 years later...

I had an Adam Black Apollo for a few years and it was fantastic i really loved it but sold it in a moment of weakness after being booted from a band. My only issue is that the Apollo weighed a ton and broke the straps of 2 very good gig bags, about 12 straps (including leather ones) and one shoulder, I dont know if the weight issue applies with the titan but i would keep it in mind if you try it out.