Why become a member? ×

Overwater Perception 5 FL

Rumple

Overwater Perception 5 String Lined Fretless.

walnut body.
Balkan white maple back and front.
3 piece maple neck with Balkan maple headstock.
ebony lined fretless fingerboard.
35" scale.
17mm string spacing at the bridge.
Hipshot singles bridge.
all black hardware.
OW pups and electrics.

Here are the pics Chris sent me last week of the build so far.

[attachment=30543:body_back.jpg]

[attachment=30544:body_carve.jpg]

[attachment=30545:body_detail.jpg]

[attachment=30546:body_front.jpg]

[attachment=30547:finised_back.jpg]

[attachment=30548:finished_front.jpg]

[attachment=30549:neck_blank.jpg]

Edited by Rumple

[quote name='BassBus' post='564045' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:32 AM']Looks good so far. I'll look forward to seeing that progress. It's fascintaing how it takes the finishing process to bring out the real beauty of the facing woods.[/quote]

Thanks BaasBus, I think the figuring on the maple will be quite subtle even after it's varnished. I wanted something different and more understated then the curly maple on my Progress.

R.

• 2 weeks later...

The bass is now varnished and in the drying cupboard, hopefully I will get a couple of pics of it this week before it's assembled, Chris says it will be finished by the end of the week and ready for delivery.

Can't wait!

R.

New Pic's.

She's looking good!

[attachment=31043:Picture_059.jpg]
[attachment=31044:Picture_060.jpg]
[attachment=31045:Picture_061.jpg]
[attachment=31046:Picture_062.jpg]
[attachment=31047:Picture_063.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='peted' post='587951' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:49 PM']Congratulations! You've just provoked a serious amount of fretless GAS in me. I don't even play fretless![/quote]

Cheers, I'm having to learn fretless all over again after many years of playing only fretted.

[quote name='Rumple' post='588295' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:52 AM']Cheers, I'm having to learn fretless all over again after many years of playing only fretted.[/quote]

Yes but that's half the fun - it's great t be able to switch between fretted and fretless basses with confidence - took me a while but it's worth the extra effort :rolleyes:

That's one lovely bass too - beautiful workmanship and really understated, classy design - I'm impressed - hope you enjoy it for many years to come. One thought is that any new bass takes a while to get used to - be patient and you'll be all pver this beauty in a few months - plus the settling period always sees the bass move around a bit - give it a year or two, when the wood has really settled in and I guarantee this bass will be singing even sweeter... good things come to those who wait :)

Congrats again

Mike

Some Wise words there Mike, many thanks.

There is a bit of buzz on the first part of the A and D string but as you say the new wood is still settling down so I'll leave it and see how it is in a few months.

The neck is a joy! having a narrower string spacing and a satin finish to the back makes it faster and more comfortable for me then the wider, gloss finished neck of my fretted Progress.

Time for a bit of practice :)