Why become a member? ×

Fixing crackley pots on an Eden Metro Combo

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks

I recently bought Crez's Eden rig and it sounds fabulous! But, a couple of the volume pots and e.q. pots could do with a clean as they're quite noisy. As I'm really not very good at technical stuff, any suggestions on what to use and how best to approach this kind of job?

This is the combo in question:

[attachment=30235:zoom_dc210xlt_08.jpg]

And the manual is here (though it doesn't tell you that much in terms of technical issues): [attachment=30240:DC_210XL...ual2003A.pdf]

Or, to be on the safe side, would it just be best to take it to my amp tech and get him to do it?

Thanks for looking and any advice much appreciated!

Nik

If you're confident enough with getting inside an amp then it's a basic job; this stuff

[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/2750"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/2750[/url]

is worth a try. Make sure you've disconnected from the mains (!), get to the back of the pots and give them all a spray with Servisol. Magic juice for crackly pots and switches! Do the sockets at the same time then plug into each socket a few times.

If you're not confident, better to find an amp repairer.

Its easy mate just get inside the back of the thing carefully! Go to maplin and buy some switch cleaner make sure the straw is on the can,put a towell under the back of the pots/knobs then squirt cleaner into each pot and twist the knob back and fourth.

Edited by YouMa

Just for anyone who's never done this before, the idea is to get the contact cleaner [i]inside[/i][u][/u] the pot.

The contact cleaner spray will come with a "drinking straw" attachment to allow you to accurately spray the pot. There are two places that will allow you to get the spray inside the pot. You can spray under the little circuit board part where the three contacts are, or there is usually a little pressed notch in the casing - the latter is often easier to get to.

Place the straw attachment at either of these two points and give it a couple of short sprays. Then operate the pot a few times by turning it from one extreme to the other to spread the cleaner.

[attachment=30251:PotSpray.jpg]

Go easy on the amount of juice as over doing this will mix with the grease held in the cap of the pot and get on the track and especially when you use Isopropol.
If the problem comes back though in a few months then its time to change the pot.

Thanks for the quick replies folks!

Well, the actual cleaning bit doesn't sound too difficult at all which is good.. The tricky bit I suspect is going to be getting inside this amp so that I can get to the pots easily and cleanly. I think I'm going to have to investigate that quite thoroughly, so I'll probably go onto the Eden forum for that and see what experiences other Metro owners have had..

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know what happens..

Nik

[quote name='Mr.T' post='560778' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:38 PM']Just wondering...

How do you rate the Metro against the Nemesis?[/quote]
Very highly!

The Metro is like having 2 amps for a start, as it has 2 very good but distinct channels. The sound of Channel 1 is closer to the Nemesis, but Channel 2 with the valve pre, the 5 band e.q. and the semi-parametric e.q is on a different planet! Plus, each channel has (defeatable) compression, an enhance control..there's 2 seperate fx send/returns..

..so, feature wise it's excellent.. Overall, it's a more versatile, warmer and also more transparent sounding amp but then it should be because it's a much more expensive piece of kit!

And the fact that it comes as part of a combo with a very, very good 210 is even better IMO.. :)

• 3 weeks later...