Why become a member? ×

Refinish suggestion

Veils

Howdoo people

I am sending my newly acquired Lakland DJ4 to Lord Jon of Shuker to have a refinish. Basically I am not a big fan of black finishes and this bass has one of the nicest necks and maple fretboards I have had the pleasure of playing, but just to give it that added wow factor, I wanna get the black stripped off and either a nice finish or a top putting on it.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I'm not much kop when it comes to artistic visualisation :)

Guest Bald Eagle

I don't know if having a top put on it would effect the tone you'd have to ask Shuker, on the otherhand you won't really know the quality of the grain for a natural finish until it's stripped either I suppose, at the end of the day you might just have to spray it again, old white is a personal fav look nice with the maple board.

Yeah I quite fancied the white DJ4 which someone was selling just before I went for this one.

Spoke with Jon and he says a lot will depend on what he finds underneath when he strips the finish off.

I do like buckeye burl a lot. Only problem being that it is becoming a lot more common. I might go for some kind of spalted top maybe? I really don't know :)

Yeah I quite fancied the white DJ4 which someone was selling just before I went for this one.

Spoke with Jon and he says a lot will depend on what he finds underneath when he strips the finish off.

I do like buckeye burl a lot. Only problem being that it is becoming a lot more common. I might go for some kind of spalted top maybe? I really don't know :)

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='presoulnation' post='59278' date='Sep 12 2007, 02:11 PM']Yeah I quite fancied the white DJ4 which someone was selling just before I went for this one.

I do like buckeye burl a lot. Only problem being that it is becoming a lot more common. I might go for some kind of spalted top maybe? I really don't know :huh:[/quote]

I'd be very careful with the spalted maple not only is it a bugger to work with therefore probably an expensive finish, I think it can also look like stilton gone wrong sometimes, if it's the knobbly veiny type of veneer i'm thinking of anyway, still every sheet will be different :)

Aye I am aware that spalted and burl tops are tricky to work with. But we all know that Jon is a demi-god! I would just head to his workshop and pick something but I am probably not going to get the time to do it which really sucks. It is more likely I am going to have to post the bass to him or ask a mate to drop it off for me :)

Guest Bald Eagle

See what I mean about the cheese!

[url="http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/maple,%20spalted.htm"]http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woo...,%20spalted.htm[/url]

Go for a classic solid colour, one of the lesser seen Fender ones like Foam Green (not Surf Green), or Daphne Blue or Shell Pink (if you can stomach it).

As an aside, if you e-mail Dan at Lakland and explain what you're planning to do but mention the problem of the colour coded headstock and losing the decal, he will likely offer to send you replacement decals, he did with me, although I didn't go through with a refinish in the end.