Why become a member? ×

They're making it up as they go along!!!

Bilbo

Someone put this onto YouTube (my first visit!). To be fair, this was Gary Leach, the drummer's, first gig after only one rehearsal and he had never played the tune before. The sax player, Myke Clifford, was only two gigs in as well but I think its getting there. And a (very short) bass solo to boot (don't get too excited)!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwHtKCi0Kg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwHtKCi0Kg[/url]

ps bad intonation or an iffy note? Shall I start a poll?

Very nice playing Bilbo, some nice little things in the solo there.
I do have one comment and I think you're man enough to take it, I would play less notes in the basic groove, less is more, make the simply played stuff [i]really[/i] count. I can say that with no shame as it's something I have to constantly tell myself. And as the great Mike Walker said to me: "chops can be the devil in disguise, whenever I get on a train to planet sh*t I always sing my ideas, that way it's music not finger movement"
Other than that though mate, really nice :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='559341' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:08 PM']I do have one comment and I think you're man enough to take it, I would play less notes in the basic groove, less is more, make the simply played stuff [i]really[/i] count. I can say that with no shame as it's something I have to constantly tell myself. And as the great Mike Walker said to me: "chops can be the devil in disguise, whenever I get on a train to planet sh*t I always sing my ideas, that way it's music not finger movement"
Other than that though mate, really nice :)[/quote]

I have that one in the back of my mind all of the time, Jake, but sometimes the old 'its not happening, play some more notes' self talk rears its ugly head and, wham, here comes the diarrhoea. But, yes, you are right. Reticence is its own reward.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely stuff! Great groove you have there.

Is that typical Bossa? I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything with a latin flavour, despite having South American heritage. Makes me want to listen to more. Especially with that chord progression - you really can't go wrong with it.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='566202' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:30 PM']Is that typical Bossa?[/quote]

It is a samba (bossa is actually thought of as a samba slowed down). The band's name on the video 'Gione Antony's Bossa Quartet' is erroneous. It just goes out as 'Gione Antony' but Gary, the drummer who posted it on the Tube, was a dep and just made up a name for the post. The track is called A Luz De Tieta by Caetano Veloso. The original is on YouTube somewhere.

Try Gilberto Gil (great DVD called Acustico out there somewhere), Milton Nascimento, Chico Buarque, Djavan, Marissa Monte, Maria Bethania (Veloso's sister), Flora Purim, Bebel Gilberto or any other Brazillian artists. Latin music is a broad church. As well as Bossa and Samba you have Pagode, Axe, Forros, Xotes e Bailao, Samba Duro/Pagode Baiano and the more jazz and pop influenced stuff. There is a lot of great stuff out there if you want to go looking for it.

I recall how broad the term 'latin' is, when we covered it briefly at college. I guess it's more a collection of genres that have similar roots - or at least, that's my interpretation.

I'll have to give some of those suggestions a look on Spotify and see if anything appeals. It'll make a change from metal and prog, at least...