Why become a member? ×

Odd Elixirs query

I've found that I quite like using Elixirs on my 4 and 5 string basses, and they get me the sound I like. However, I also have a 7 string and they only do 6 string sets. My question is, has anyone ever used Elixir [i]guitar[/i] strings on bass? Specifically at a D or G from the guitar set to use as a high E (I tune the 7 BEADGBE) that I could match with the 6 string bass set. My main concern would be for length, although not breaking would be a bonus too. Anyone got any experience with these? Bit of a long shot but given that the guitar strings are £12 or so a shot I'd rather ask first.
Cheers
Kyle

Edited by velvetkevorkian

The bass is 34" and has about an inch between the nut and the machine head, but I tend to find that guitar strings have a bit more excess length than bass strings, plus on a 3+3 guitar headstock, the D string machine is furthest away from the nut so needs to have greater length anyway- just not sure if it will be enough. Other people have talked about using guitar strings (Dean Markley were mentioned) so its possible in theory at least...

[quote name='MythSte' post='557962' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:04 PM']Alternativly shoot them an e-mail and ask! Ive found Elixer to always be very accomodating with enquiries.[/quote]
+1 to that. I bought a set once and the D string broke at the bridge when i first strung it up. They sent me a full set replacement, free of charge!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I got the full set of strings set up, tuned BEADGBE with a super light Elixirs set for the lower six and a single .024 guitar string for the high E. Seems to work perfectly- only problem was the ball end was a bit too small so I had to cannabalise one from an old set of strings and run the string through it. Bit of a bodge but seems to be holding, and it sounds great :)