Why become a member? ×

New Upright and Eub

Adi

Hi guys, a newbie to upright here.
I bought a Bassix EUB about six weeks ago and was impressed with it's somewhat authentic sound. It's a neck with a body molding so I need to develop thumb position. It's passive and made from composites. There is a small sound box. It dismantles in 30 secs and has an endpin pole support. I play it through a Markbass Mini 121p, eq set flat, sounds wonderful.
The strings are called Patricks but I'll probably experiment and try Spiro's.

This led me to buy an upright fom ebay about a month ago. Some of you might have been watching it. 25 year old Czech with a Fishman from Dee bass for £850. Well he drove down from London with it and it was soon apparent that it was unplayable due to the silly low action. He had Weichs on there. Plus the pickup didn't work. That said, it is in perfect nick, not a scratch. He nocked off £100 so I payed £750 and I'll need to get a new bridge (or adjusters) and maybe a new pickup, might fix the old one. The Bass turns out to be a Boosey & Hawkes 400, an oldish student bass I guess.

So at last one or two questions. Is it worth spending some money on? any recommendations for the Kent/Thanet area, bearing in mind I have no transport.
Plus any opinions on B&H basses.
I'm going to try and upload snaps, this my first time.

Cheers

Adi

Edited by Adi

It looks in great nick, Boosey and Hawkes are just importers does it say anything else on the label. My B&H is a golden strad I have to admit I love it it's a great bass.

I'd take it and get it professionally set up though I reckon a bus journey might be a drag!

[quote name='steviedee' post='555880' date='Jul 30 2009, 09:27 AM']It looks in great nick, Boosey and Hawkes are just importers does it say anything else on the label. My B&H is a golden strad I have to admit I love it it's a great bass.

I'd take it and get it professionally set up though I reckon a bus journey might be a drag![/quote]

Thanks Steviedee. The Wiki history of Boosey and Hawkes suggests they were more than just importers as the business had the publishing side and manufacturing side. My bass is probably about 1984ish so I think someone out there will remember. Bits of the business were sold off over the years and have evolved. I bet there are historical links with Thomann, especially when you look at the staggering choice they offer on new basses.

I will spend a bit and get it done professionally, too steep a learning curve at this point.

[quote name='TPJ' post='555896' date='Jul 30 2009, 09:45 AM']Looks like a lovely bass. Hopefully someone will chime in with any Luthiers in your area.
Alternatively, you could get a bridge yourself and have a go at making a new one. Lots of info on tinterweb.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip TPJ, this is going to be my next project, I'll post the results, maybe even with sound files.

[quote name='Adi' post='556048' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:02 PM']Thanks for the tip TPJ, this is going to be my next project, I'll post the results, maybe even with sound files.[/quote]

B+H never made any string instruments as far as I know, just imported.
Golden Strads were Hungarian made, and (I believe) all solid top. More like 1960s / 70s though. The other common model from that time was the Excelsior (a name they applied to many student instruments, brass and woodwind), at least some of them being Czech made under the Artia label, coming from the Luby factory that now make Strunal basses.
I've owned both models, and still play the Excelsior. Both lovely sounding basses.
This 400 looks most like an Excelsior type. But it's more recent. Still, likely it is Czech made, possible even from same factory as the earlier Excelsiors. Which would essentially make it a Strunal bass. Sort of.

Edited by PaulKing

[quote name='PaulKing' post='556182' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:10 PM']B+H never made any string instruments as far as I know, just imported.
Golden Strads were Hungarian made, and (I believe) all solid top. More like 1960s / 70s though. The other common model from that time was the Excelsior (a name they applied to many student instruments, brass and woodwind), at least some of them being Czech made under the Artia label, coming from the Luby factory that now make Strunal basses.
I've owned both models, and still play the Excelsior. Both lovely sounding basses.
This 400 looks most like an Excelsior type. But it's more recent. Still, likely it is Czech made, possible even from same factory as the earlier Excelsiors. Which would essentially make it a Strunal bass. Sort of.[/quote]

Wow thanks Paul. The label inside says B&H Made in Czechoslovakia. I feel re-assured that it's worth some work on the bridge and soundpost and I'll put some Spiro Reds on to start. Thanks again.

[quote name='PaulKing' post='556182' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:10 PM']B+H never made any string instruments as far as I know, just imported.
This 400 looks most like an Excelsior type. But it's more recent. Still, likely it is Czech made, possible even from same factory as the earlier Excelsiors. Which would essentially make it a Strunal bass. Sort of.[/quote]
Interesting Paul, thanks. Mine's a '69 Excelsior, and I certainly remember Artia being on the label. :)