Why become a member? ×

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

KASH

Hey

I've found a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone in my moms house from my old guitar days, first thought - sell it! but now I'm wondering...would it work well with bass? or will it cut the bass freq? Anyone use it?

I haven't tried on my rig yet as it's in the studio, just looking for any users who can recommend any settings to try, etc...

cheers!

Not sure if it was the same model but I used a BOSS Metal-zone
once and it sounded alright. Obviously there was quite a large
low-end loss, but it sounded like a synthy fuzz. If you do give it
a go don't push the volume up to much, especially at first.

[quote name='KASH' post='552872' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:53 PM']Hey

I've found a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone in my moms house from my old guitar days, first thought - sell it! but now I'm wondering...would it work well with bass? or will it cut the bass freq? Anyone use it?

I haven't tried on my rig yet as it's in the studio, just looking for any users who can recommend any settings to try, etc...

cheers![/quote]

The MT-2 is a great pedal but it is not bass friendly. The filter sections are specifically tuned for guitar and a lot of low frequencies are inevitably lost. The bass control is based on a band-pass filter so turning up the bass knob boosts the frequencies around 100Hz (if I remember correctly) but it everything below is attenuated. I think some bass players use it but in my experience it doesn't work very well with bass.

Having said that, it can definitely be modified. I modified one MT-2 to transform it in a semi-parametric EQ (it works great). The way the internal filtering works can also be modified to reduce the mid-scoop or the clipping can be changed to make the distortion different.

[quote name='KASH' post='552872' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:53 PM']Hey

cheers![/quote]

I reckon the thing to do, if you can, is rig it up in parallel (via mixer / blender ) with your straight bass sound so you get the bottom end from the bass and the distortion from the MT-2.

[quote name='rmorris' post='553308' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:36 PM']I reckon the thing to do, if you can, is rig it up in parallel (via mixer / blender ) with your straight bass sound so you get the bottom end from the bass and the distortion from the MT-2.[/quote]
It sounds a good plan.

I fear the distorted component may sound a little bit thin though. …which could be a good thing.