Why become a member? ×

Power amp reccomendations

Mr. Foxen

Since we has a thread discussing the power amp/preamp to sonic bliss, what power amps are good to look out for.

Bear in mind I gather information, then sit for ages until I spot a mad bargain, so I want an encycopeadic knowledge of what to look for in a power amp, and especially what brands to avoid in spite of their apparently awesome specs.

What's the difference between Mosfet and the other transistors.

I don't much care about lightness (due to cabs) but are heavy amps going to shortly become worthless due to these (in which case I'll wait on that and buy a beast, obselete is Doom).

Mr Foxen, I use a QSC PLX 3102, 3100 watts into 4 ohms bridged, running into my 2100 watt 6 ohm Tech 6x10", with an Ampeg SVT IIP at the front end, doom enough, if I so desire.
Or 900 watts into the Tech and the Glock in stereo.

Weighs 21lbs.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='551192' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:15 PM']Mr Foxen, I use a QSC PLX 3102, 3100 watts into 4 ohms bridged, running into my 2100 watt 6 ohm Tech 6x10", with an Ampeg SVT IIP at the front end, doom enough, if I so desire.
Or 900 watts into the Tech and the Glock in stereo.

Weighs 21lbs.[/quote]

Weight in 2 digits of lb = not Doom. Hoping thats not including the cab, although I know the Tecs are floaty light.

Plan is this is to pair up with my Tec 6x12, so QSC are on the list, look to be some bargains to be had on ebay there. Basically, I'm going to be looking for a pre _ power combo that cab beat the LH1000 for £330. Not that I have that in my budget, but I like serious shopping around time.

Whenever I think about power amps, QSC brand and their PLX series comes to my mind first. Lightweight, clean, loud, reliable, theres not much else to ask from a power amplifier.

I have used several different PLX models for years on very long tours, enduring hits, extreme heat, cold, humidity, tons of dust, faulty AC lines and every other harsh situation you can think of on the road. They never broke. Never. Surely there might be some other great amps out there, but I CBA.

Edited by Fraktal

My front end is a Sansamp BDDI (£100) and a "Warrior" 1k power amp (£60) into a Genz Benz 6x10 (£350) Granted, I havent used it in a gig situation yet, but it's not breaking sweat in our loud practices. I think power amps are much of a muchness and quite a few of the cheaper ones are just OEM'd versions of the expensive premium brands. You should be able to easily beat the LH1000.

I just picked up a qsc rmx 1450 for £150 off the bay.i dont find it heavy,never carried a plx one though. it seems that the qsc's and yamaha p series are the popular ones for bass rigs.i used to have a yamaha p7000, i found it quite noisy and it rattled every now and again.apparently if something goes wrong with a qsc,it is easy enough to get parts for them too.

[quote name='TGEvans' post='553014' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:32 PM']I just picked up a qsc rmx 1450 for £150 off the bay.i dont find it heavy,never carried a plx one though. it seems that the qsc's and yamaha p series are the popular ones for bass rigs.i used to have a yamaha p7000, i found it quite noisy and it rattled every now and again.apparently if something goes wrong with a qsc,it is easy enough to get parts for them too.[/quote]

Good price, I have one of these in the PA too, wont go far wrong.

1400w bridge at 4 ohms lol