Why become a member? ×

Tell me about this bass - Hohner Phoenix DLX

coully

Hi all

Hoping somebody can tell me something about a bass I've picked up recently. I can't seem to find any background to it online etc.

Hohner Phoenix DLX active 4 string bass (no pic yet) in natural finish. Unusual electronics in that the active circuitry and battery compartment are all hidden behind a screwed in cover plate.

It plays well and really suits my setup so I'm not interested in people telling me how much they dislike them etc!!!

Would love to know roughly age, price/quality bracket, background etc

More brains & experience can't hurt...

Ta

Never heard of them tbh, but I'll go off the tangent a little bit...

From a Hohner perspective, I have a 16-something years old BBass IV profesional(?), and it's a trooper. My first real bass, it cost me around £250 at the time, pretty expensive. The electronics is pretty cheap (pickups are based on some steinberger passive design, the bridge pickup is very 'dry' but works well with the neck pup), but the rest is immaculate. It's got a weird drop-D steinberger bridge, and electronics similar to yours (could be the same actually). It's volume-volume, stacked bass/trebble boost, and looks antique in design, a bit noisy with trebbles boosted, it also has a passive switch and a led (:)), and the battery is inside the electronics cavity, which is held by 4 screws. It's got massive low end with the bass boost, Aston Barret used to play one IIRC. So, Hohners do get played by some pretty high profile muzos :rolleyes:

Tye Zamora used to play a Hohner BBass 6 strings IIRC again. He is a pretty accomplished bass player as well (playing 6 strings in a punk pop band?!?).

Not sure about the latest Hohners, they seemed to have backed of the bass guitars market since the 1990s and mostly sell headless steinberger licensed copies (which are still well regarded actually).

I still have it for sentimental reason, and because it still works!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

One of the blokes in my blues band uses Hohner mouth organs.

I have a 1986 Hohner B2A steiney that I bought new in Denmark street for £249 - its a bit chunky on the neck and the active circuit is f'ked, but apart from that and & looking very 80s its not bad. I even managed to track down some nice double ball flatwounds for it.

No idea about the model you have though. Might be a unique design or may be a generic model made by sammick or cort in Korea or indonesia with a Hohner logo slapped on. Post a pic when you get one.