Why become a member? ×

Tokai Thunderbird

beerdragon

I bought this off ebay last week, After a few minutes of playing at a practice session i knew it wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with the bass, its just not my cup of tea. It's in a Korean one, in really good condition plays and sounds well. come with a hard albeit tatty case, looking for £200

[url="http://img24.imageshack.us/i/p7240007.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://img10.imageshack.us/i/p7240005.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by beerdragon

Sorry it didn't work out BeerDragon - I now feel slightly guilty at pointing out the eBay link to you :)

Out of interest what didn't feel right - I ask as I have often thought about whether I would like a TB (they do look so cool)

[quote name='Clarky' post='550336' date='Jul 24 2009, 04:04 PM']Sorry it didn't work out BeerDragon - I now feel slightly guilty at pointing out the eBay link to you :)

Out of interest what didn't feel right - I ask as I have often thought about whether I would like a TB (they do look so cool)[/quote]

It was the look really Clarky, i have always fancied one. this is a nice example and the neck dive doesn't bother me at all. but as soon as i put a strap on it and started playing i realised this is not my kind of bass, i suppose i could have searched one out in a shop and saved a bit of money but there you go.

For any potential buyers (and the seller if this is what is putting you off), if the neck dive is an issue, there is a simple and effective solution.

Move the strap button from the shoulder of the body to the heel of the neck (like an SG g**tar, but actually on the neck). It sorted out my epi instantly.

I had one of these for a while, and what put me off was the string spacing, which is totally different to the Gibson/Epi Thunderbirds. It plays more like a P-Bass, and the neck just felt wrong. I f.cked it off and got another Epi to replace it, result = happiness!
Neck dive isn't a problem though, if you have the guts to gig one of these, you make allowances dontcha :)