Why become a member? ×

Synth Pedals

kneal6

Hey guys. I haven't been coming to the site for a while but I thought I'd pop back in and say hi.

I've noticed there's been a few developments in the synth pedal arena as of late and I was wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts/opinions? For instance there's a Behringer bass synth pedal, and there's also the synth thing on the Line6 bass floor POD (and also their bass amps I think?)

So, how do these compare to the Old Skool synth pedals (Digitech synth wah, EHX microsynth, Boss SYB, Akai)? Tracking? Versatility? Sound Quality (I'm looking at you here Behringer)?

Also, I'm looking to get a sound like the bass in Superstition or Billy Jean, recommendations? I think I might be able to get away with just a chorus or something. Any other new developments pedal-wise I should know about?

Not much has changed - There's a new bass microsynth that is slightly smaller, and sounds a bit worse - not worth the upgrade apparently (I've got one and it's awesome IMO). Obviously the behringer isn't nearly as good sound quality as anything else and the tracking below the a string is horrible. Pretty much the same goes for the boss SYB-5, but I can only compare it, really, to my BMS :/

I was in a similar position a few weeks ago - Behringer synth pedal looked great for under £50 but trying it out in the shop it was horrible tracking and the sounds were harsh and uncontrollable. i ended up trying a Boss SYB5, far better, good selection of sounds but out of my price. I then found a SYB3 on ebay and bought that one. Very happy with it so far.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='548905' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:47 PM']Unless you're desparate, I'd hold off until the new Markbass one comes out. It could be the synth to end all synths. Or it could be pony, we shall see.[/quote]
oh +1 on that one. Can't flippin wait for that!! Almost forgot about it!