Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different String Gauges - Does It Make A Difference?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='546685' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:36 PM']For years and years, I have always used 45 - 105 gauge strings. I was thinking about trying 40 - 100 gauge but wondering if different gauges produce a different tone. If so, what would the difference be?[/quote]

i've just switched from 95 flats to 105's.i'll let you know.

50 70 85 105

Edited by riff raff

I switched between 40-100 and 45-105 for a while, mostly depending on what a shop had in when I wanted some strings. I think I noticed the difference in sound more on the higher strings - heavier gauge gave me more confidence on the G, that the notes would sound good and full rather than twangy. Whereas I noticed the difference in stiffness more on the lower strings, but it didn't seem to make much difference to the tone, to me.

YMMV.

i think with those gauges it could be marginal...the lighter ones can bend better but as you get a thinner G it tends to drop off the edge
45-105 i feel is a good set although i go gaga over TI jazz rounds which are a lot less on the E side
i have used lighter and heavier over the years but always came back to the 45/105 unless a speciality string was more what i wanted as opposed to a choice of gauges
i cant do slap but there is a need there for lighter strings

ps heavy strings dont move much and the output seems less unless you belt them
that is why for me TI jazz rounds have such a good output...the vibrate a lot with less effort required
your set up of course needs altering a bit for them
cheers

Edited by mrcrow

I switched to .40s as my Jazz came with them. Pros- they seem to stay in tune better and should brighter, they also seem to slap better. Cons- they dont seem as beefy (duh) but you can add some effetc or extra mid to solve this. Genreally speaking, I'd say it was a thumbs up for my JAzz, but I'm going back to 45s on my Stingray

[quote name='Linus27' post='546932' date='Jul 21 2009, 07:46 PM']Thanks everyone. I might try some 40 - 100 on my Jazz as I could do with a bit more brightness.[/quote]
At the Notts Bass Bash, someone commented that my Jazz sounded like a Rick - I thhink that this was mostly due to the strings.