Why become a member? ×

Xotic(s) .. you wait for ages, and then two come along!!...

eubassix

Having looked for one of these Xotic basses for ages, I'm now in possession of two Early & original (rare) model Xotic XB-2C 5-string bass(es)
All original XB-series basses featured: 34"-scale, 24-fret, 3-pc. Maple/kingwood neck with brass nut; 1-3/4" at the nut - 3" at F24. String spacing is 9-16-18mm (bridge is infinitely adjustable); 2 Kent Armstrong soapbar pickups with custom Xotic active preamp; Controls: Master Volume, Blend, Master Tone, and 3-band EQ; Hipshot tuners and Kahler fully-adjustable bridge; Built-in Dunlop style strap-locks
The XB-2C or "custom" came with an exotic wood top and back, and ebony fingerboard with extra-cool aluminium ring inlays (possibly inspired by Capt. Scarlet & The Mysterons?..)
The bass(es) features a bocote top/back with natural (oil/wax) finish & quilt maple top/back with amber-black-burst finish
Very wide range of available tones and a very powerful sound. The "B" string is very tight and focused. It's really the best fretted 5'er I've tried - both instruments have exceptional tones (slightly different / woods) and playability. The EQ is superb - hence (possibly) the popularity of the Xotic pedals. Other specs: Neck = 24F Maple/Ebony . Neck Finish = Satin. Fret = Jescar(#6150 type) . Neck Radius = 16R . Nut = Brass . Pickup = Kent Armstrong . EQ = Xotic Bass Preamp (18V) . Tuner = Hip Shot Ultra light . Bridge = Kahler Fixed 5-st /Black . Control = 1-Vol, 1- Master Tone, 1- Balancer (Pan), 3-band EQ + (Rear) 4-mid frequency Switch, Output Gain Control . [Switch] = Vol (push: series, pull: parallel for front pickup) Tone(push: series, pull: parallel for rear pickup). Strap Button = Jim Dunlop X 2 . MSRP (current): $4,200 plus shipping . Hand-made in Los Angeles, USA
The new (and current) Xotic company reappeared some years after the original folded :-
[url="http://www.xotic.us/guitars/"]http://www.xotic.us/guitars/[/url]
(..although it looks like my amber/black 5C on the page link!!). The Xotic pedals (which I've seen here on BC) appear to have survived throughout: any info. on this and the Co. /basses would be greatly appreciated. The basses have changed little, apparently, with the new Co.

Adding a few photos but might change them to bigger if I can work-out how to do so.
I'm now undecided as to plans for the natural (Bocote) bass: had intended to de-fret, but after talking with Xotic and others it doesn't seem the best idea. So it might soon be available and I'll start another long wait for a fretless (original) example.

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='546312' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:38 PM']Hey David, I like the curly maple one. What attracted you to these instruments more than the others which have passed through your hands? Are they keepers? :)[/quote]

Good Q. Steve - I suppose it's down to GAS in its purest form (... so nothing logical!). When I first became interested in more exotic, handmade instruments the original Xotics received excellent reviews and were well advertised, but I couldn't get hold of one - at about the same time as I bought an early Roscoe and Curbow IEP. Then they seemingly 'disappeared', although the preamps were still around. Like 'Tung' basses (... still looking for one of those!...) they never appeared on the second-hand market, so I guessed they must be as good as the Reviews suggested. Which they are. Only Marleaux (from my experience, to-date, build a standard 34" scale 5 with such a good 'B')
'Keepers' ?... what's that (?!?). Well, I suppose they as much 100% keepers as all the others we've (global-sense) had .. and I've had a few myself in the past. Ironically, it's possible that I'll sell one soon (probably the Bocote) unless I do decide to go-ahead with the de-fret.
I'll have to get into the attic and see if I can find the Xotic Review(s) and original ad's - if anybody has examples, I'd be delighted to hear from them !