Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FS/FT: Skjold Exotic Custom Series 6 fretless added trade stuph price altered

nobodysprefect

cleaning the stables, thinning the herd... Somehow the double bass is what I dig and fretless just isn't the same.

Pete Skjold is a fretless player and it shows in his work - his fretted basses are really good, easily as good as, say, Spector or Smith (but more versatile and have a MUCH fuller sound) but his special love is for fretless. I've had plenty of high end goodness so I should know! This bass has mahogany body, maple top and back, bloodwood unlined fretboard and 35" scale. East/Skjold electronics mean this is one versatile beast. Quite light for it's apparent size. I guesstimate about 8 pounds. The acoustic tone is woody and full. The electronics can go from total thump to aggressive burp. Incredible, but you can't play this arco and my walking lines are just plain better on an upright bass!

Pete's single-cut body shape is termed the 'whaleback' and it adds sustain without making construction more complicated. Pete says this construction avoids any possibility of stability problems down the road from strongly asymmetrical neck-body joint. Also, adjusting the truss rod is as easy as it is in double cutaway models, which is a definite plus for fretless players!

EDIT:

toying with keeping this. If you're interested, let me know and we'll talk

Edited by nobody's prefect

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mike' post='561267' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:31 PM']Wow! This looks great![/quote]

And can be yours for a few quid! I tell you guys, Finns are totally nuts for Fenders, Music Mans (Music Men??) and Warwicks! You'd totally NOT be ripping me off by trading me a couple of those 700+ quid stingrays or warwicks. I've made the mistake of selling a fender for the exact amt I paid to a brit incl shipping. Sold in one day (45 minutes actually) no questions asked, no bargaining. Oh and for custom work they order AV basses from Czech Republic. Cost about 1100 quid for a pretty standard five-banger. And they VERY often have frets coming loose or intonation not lining up or saddle being all shot to hell or ... Compare that to Alan, that second best thing to come out of Scotland! (first being single malts! lord, let rather mine fingers rot and fall off than my tongue be deprived the touch o' scottish single malt! No, wait. There's also James I and steam locomotive and bagpipes and men wearing pretty skirts and the glasgow kiss and the royal mile and FISH aka Derek William Dick)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...