Why become a member? ×

Best Preamp For EMG PJ pickups

Sharkfinger

I have this EMG PJ setup currently and although it sounds fine and dandy, I really wanted more 'oomph'. Now, I've tried Spectors in the past that had EMG and the Tonepump circuit and I've quite liked it. I see that there are a few Tonepump circuits knocking about and was tempted to buy one but have been advised that they wouldn't really the EMGs justice. The East ACG 02 in particular was recommended.

With that in mind, I'm casting the net further and would like opinions on what would really make my EMGs sing. I'm after a great rock tone and I really can't be bothered to keep fiddling with settings on stage. I find a tone I like and stick with it and if I want to change the sound on stage, I'll usually change where I finger/plec the string.

It would be nice to be able to change the mid if I'm really having trouble hearing myself but in those occasions, I can walk over to the amp and tweak.

So here are a few I've been looking at:

EMT BT/BQ
East ACG 02
Aguilar OBP-1/2

Opinions on these or alternate suggestions please.

I'd go for something like the Aguilar 2 band (the first version, boost only) or the East "stingray" two band. You won't have to boost the top end with EMG's, but they warm up nicely with a good low end....

I put the boost/cut version into a Warwick with EMG PJs and it was great, but I never used the cut function.

[quote name='BassBod' post='541970' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:43 AM']I'd go for something like the Aguilar 2 band (the first version, boost only) or the East "stingray" two band. You won't have to boost the top end with EMG's, but they warm up nicely with a good low end....

I put the boost/cut version into a Warwick with EMG PJs and it was great, but I never used the cut function.[/quote]
Aguilar 2 band as in the OBP-1?

[quote name='Spartacus' post='541977' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:52 AM']If you dont want to fiddle on stage you probbaly wont like the East ACG. You might want something to tame the EMG topend a bit so an East BTB would work well i think. Bass boost only, treble cut and boost.[/quote]
Acutally, I'm fine with the top end. Will check out the BTB.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

• 1 month later...

In the end went with a second-hand Spector TonePump, the original one without the trim pot. A nice chap at spector sent me the wiring diagram and I wired it in myself. After a bit of head-scratching, was actually quite simple.

The output is just a little hotter than before but only takes a slight decrease on the input gain on amp.

Warms my bottom nicely :)