Why become a member? ×

Dr Bass Cabs

fingerz

My current set up does me fine for nearly everything, I was thinking about getting a 410 or 2 12, 4 ohm cab for using on bigger gigs for head room (theres allways backline, its not like I want to own a stadium rig..) from time to time. Nothing urgent but I wanna do it in the near future..

I looked at Dr Bass cabs and see they're pretty well priced, light and powerful. This is the sort of money that would be great to throw at something that's not gunna be my main cab.

Never seen one in the flesh, I know they are available over here.

Has anyone played one? Own one? What do they sound like?

Just be ready for a long and perhaps troublesome wait should you order one and not buy one that is in stock from Robbie at RIM.

Check out Talkbass, there's been a lot of discussion on the positives and negatives of these cabs over there.

Also, you should check out Barefaced as well. Similar sort of thing what with the midrange and all, but in my mind a little bit better designed.

I have the 1580 and have been very pleased with it. Sound is round, full and bassy as I was expecting. Great paired up with mesa 400+. Excellent build quality with tough spray on finish that should last years. Robbie at RIM is a great guy to deal with (never met him, but communication and response good on email) Think he's suffered from delays in deliveries from US but if you buy from stock should not be problem. May be worth a call to Robbie to see if you could try one out (IIRC he's in Luton) or if you're ever near Guildford give me a shout and you can try my cab out

I can't compare to Alex's Barefaced Bass cabs but hearing good things about them also

Cool, sounds like they're worth a look.

The big put-off for me is in the consistent lack of customer service/supply from Dr Bass themselves. ie if you were stuck with a problem and RIM were out of any parts you would be buggered. This is not a professional service from a company who claim to make pro gear. Shame, there's too many companies like that around.

Thanks for the feedback

[quote name='Flanker' post='542110' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:00 PM']Hi J

How's it going?

I have a BareFaced Compact and a Puma500 head I think you should come over and try!

Cheers
Steve[/quote]

And the rest!!

I'll be over soon, I'll be picking up a new passive 5 very soon so we could have a gear day.

Cool, stay in touch

Jo

[quote]And the rest!![/quote]

Not any more. Trying to be sensible... :rolleyes:

I have 2 basses, my fantastic Skjold and Alleva P - brilliant both of them.

I have a BagEndS115D and the Compact with the Puma.

My Ashdown head sounded fantastic with the BagEnd so hope to get that back soon but that's it for now.(Thanks Steve :) )

You are always more than welcome.

[quote name='Flanker' post='542137' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:24 PM']Not any more. Trying to be sensible... :rolleyes:

I have 2 basses, my fantastic Skjold and Alleva P - brilliant both of them.

I have a BagEndS115D and the Compact with the Puma.

My Ashdown head sounded fantastic with the BagEnd so hope to get that back soon but that's it for now.(Thanks Steve :) )

You are always more than welcome.[/quote]

That's quite a modest collection for you!! Hang on..there's an Alleva in there, I take that back!

Sounds good, those Tecamp's look interesting too.

Cheers for the offer, I'll come over soon. Bring my stuff and my new custom which is due anyday.

Take care.

I have a pair of older style Dr Bass cabs (before they started adding the mid control) a 210 and a 1260. Both fine sounding although not as good as my main EBS Proline rig. However I can carry both cabs at the same time whereas I can't even pick up the EBS 410 on my own!

My main concern is the 210 which only has jack connectors. I don't like jack connectors for high powered speaker systems it's simply not professional IMO. I've tried contacting Dr Bass about buying a replacement back panel with Speakons but they won't even acknowledge my emails...