Why become a member? ×

Help me buy a good (old & cheap) amp, please

Banana

I need to get a reasonable amp, and would like a fairly flexible setup. It will be used for practice & small bar gigs, and possibly the occasional outdoor thing.

I mainly play classic rock, but I need something that covers a wide range of styles.

Other than that I'm pretty ignorant about what I'm looking for, except that I have very little budget for this. I have been considering trying to get an old Trace Elliot head, and have found a recently serviced GP7 SM for a good price, but I really don't know it this is a good match for me.

I also have a reasonable PA, and could use my Yamaha P7000S with a preamp (maybe a Tech 21 VT Bass), but my speakers are 12" FRFR ones, and I'm not sure if this is really a viable option, and it seems a messy solution.

Then, there is the whole cab thing. I'm thinking a 2x10 to start with, and have seen Ashdown, and Hartke ones for reasonable prices. Are these good sounding & reliable?

Anyway, sorry for the newbie rambling. Any advice would be most welcome.