Why become a member? ×

Customs charges if on holiday in the UK

molan

A friend of mine is coming over to the UK on a working holiday from Australia - he's a professional bass player and is bringing one bass with him but has found out that it would be good for him to have a second one as well.

He's bringing his trusty old P bass but has picked up a gig that he'd like to use something much more hi-fi & doesn't want to hire or borrow whilst touring (he'll be here for a few months).

He's already en route so would have to have it sent over by air freight.

His plan would be to use it as a regular gigging bass so not looking to sell it whilst he's here.

He's worried that if it gets posted he'll incur customs charges (it's an expensive bass) and I wondered if anyone had any experience of this that might be useful in avoiding the charges?

Think the shippings costs would make it very expensive and he would have to do a customs carnet to prove that the bass was exported from Oz and will be brought back. They cost ££s.

Prob better bet is to buy a secondhand bass here and sell it before he goes home. He might even make a profit!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='536942' date='Jul 10 2009, 12:42 AM']Think the shippings costs would make it very expensive and he would have to do a customs carnet to prove that the bass was exported from Oz and will be brought back. They cost ££s.

Prob better bet is to buy a secondhand bass here and sell it before he goes home. He might even make a profit![/quote]

Shipping isn't horrendous but I think the customs hassle will be the killer.

I did suggest getting something over here but the second gig is a recording session and he's really happy with the sound of his #1 bass & wanted to use that if at all possible.

He should ask customs at this what verification is required that he owns the instrument already and that he is returning with it after his visit, and I would imagine, once the problem is overcome at this end, when he goes home he will have to do the same? In other words prove that he already owns it - but the paperwork from this end should solve that issue.

It shouldn't be a problem really, just a little bit of hassle :)

If he was travellng into this country from outside the EU [b]with[/b] the bass then he could have it waived through customs after inspection to assure HMRC that its his own property. It gets more complicated if hes working as a musician and how his visa has been approved. As hes now having it shipped hell probbaly get done for charges if he ships but can appeal with proof of ownership. Best if he calls the advuce line on 0845 010 9000 or 02920 501 261 and they can possibly issue a waiver if he ships it.

He's also at risk of incurring customs charges when re-entering Australia with the bass. Their customs are very keen to make travelling Ozzies who buy gear overseas and bring stuff back pay all appropriate charges. He'd need the original Oz purchase invoice or other acceptable documentation to avoid this issue.