Why become a member? ×

Inboard or outboard?

bythesea

I want to do a bit of messing around with recording - nothing fancy just simple backing tracks for practice, things like that, so I need someway of recording to hard drive.

As far as I can see there are two ways - an onboard sound card or USB box that I can plug instruments, mics etc into.

I currently have a reasonably good spec PC (and I know that for proper stuff I would be better having a stand alone machine for this but I'm not looking for that sort of quality), and I also have an Audiophile 2496 sound card from an older machine. The problem is that the motherboard in my machine has two PCI slots - one has the wireless card in it, and the other is totally obscured by the heatsink on my graphics card.

So, do I go for a new motherboard which will let me use the 2496, or do I forget that and buy a USB box that allows me to plug straight in (such as the M-audio Fast Track). Will there be issues with latency with either of these methods? Having the USB box would allow me to take it with me and plug into other machines (such as our laptop etc).

I use a lot of vsts,and i have always gone with outboard stuff,its just more versatile really,if you are thinking about buying a soundcard get a copy of computer music magazine they have a list in the back usually with ratings of different bits of gear.You could also email them they are usually very helpful,you could also try future music magazine,they are also very good.

Edited by YouMa

Onboard interfaces are rarely earthed as well as exterior, and the PSU for a PC is not rated for Mic amps etc.

Much better to get an external box, but make sure it has it's own power supply, a 9v or direct 240v is fine, but don;t get one that powers from the USB of FireWire buss, they simp[ly don;t have the voltage to power the mic amps properly.

If you can find a MOTU 828 cheap they are the dogs.

I use an M-box Pro and a 003 desk currently, both self powered.

There's pros and cons either way as has been discussed. I had an E-MU 0404 PCI interface and the sound quality was absolutely superb in every respect, however the software was really rather complex and took quite a while to get your head around. I didn't have a problem with PC electrical noise induction (RF signals in the case) but I could see that others might and this is not something that could be forecast in advance as every PC is different.

At a minimum I'd say one needs stereo at hi-res 96Kbit/sec - not sure if USB-2 can deliver that reliably. Firewire as Rimski suggests is probably a safer option.

Thanks for the replies. TBH I wasn't intending on spending very much at the moment, want to try it out and see how I get on. If it is something I can see myself getting more use out of then I would upgrade.

Firewire would be good but my PC doesn't have that at present, and without a new motherboard there's no way of getting it.

USB 2 will deliver 24/96 in stereo, and multiple channels of 24/48.

FireWire is the better option for multiple input channels, but only at hi res really.

If you can find an interface with "hardware monitoring" or "zero latency monitoring" you'll be able to record without the latency delays that bug some interfaces.

Most of the good ones do. It's a bit of a false economy to buy a cheap interface if you intend to get some use out of it, as you will replace it later.