Why become a member? ×

Hello Everyone...

Pete1967

Hi All,

After a few months of reading the forum and gaining some incredible advice (I'll come back to that) I thought I'd better introduce myself. My name is Pete and I'm in Leeds (I notice a healthy WY contingent here). Ive been playing bass since I was about 10 - the product of a bass player father and a singing teacher mother and studied Double Bass at the Royal Northern in Manchester, but unfortunately my sister spoilt that by buying me Level 42 (Level 42) and Heavy Weather (Weather Report). My life changed and I picked up a bass guitar. I used to play a lot on the pro/am circuit in the Midlands/Warwickshire, but I moved to Leeds in 2000 for a career change and a lady - now my wife of 7 years (love her to bits) - so I didn't play out for about 8 years. Big wrench, missed it a lot. In 08 an old contact looked me up who had moved to York and we put a little 3 piece together playing a few covers but mostly oringinal material - Blues/jazz/pop fusion. Nothing major, we all have careers, but it's fun to play out again.

The advice - yes a huge thank you to the wise people that alerted me to Jon Shuker. I've owned a raft of basses in my time (including a very sexy one that John Diggins made for me and was stolen in a burglary :) ) and had settled on a Warwick Corvette and a Yamaha TRB511 but I fancied a new plank recently and you kindly pointed me in Jon's direction. I bought a stock 5 string BO that he had and it is truly magnificent - for those of you that are regulars to Jon's website it's the Custom with the cooked maple top and EMG TW/40P. Seriously it's way up there in the top very few I've played. So much so I've ordered a second this week; and he's such a nice guy - you have to love dealing with him. I need some help on PUP selection but I'll post that elsewhere.

Anyway - that's me. Good to meet you all.

Stay well..... and play lots.

Pete

[quote name='PapillonIrl' post='530479' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:15 PM']Welcome Pete (even though I'm pretty new myself here )

How was it getting back into playing after all that time ? Had you been playing at [i]all[/i] ?

Cheers,

Nathan[/quote]

Hey Nathan,

I never really stopped playing. Amazing what you can do with a Korg Pandora and an MP3 player. There's no doubt that skills have seeped out of the ends of my fingers - or is that just age? but I s**t myself first time out... It comes back quickly though. I can now dodge bottles with the best of them :) It's great to be back on the horse, but I'd had several GAS free years - It's now back with a vengance. Good job I'm married to a financial advisor!

Cheers

Pete

Hello Pete,

I am not so far away in York. I don't get out much now that we have young children but I am planning to be at the Black Swan for Al Morrison on 15th July.
[url="http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106601600107"]http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106601600107[/url]

If anyone wants to meet me there, please PM.

Regards,

Nick

Hi Nick,

The Black Swan... know it well. Dodgy stairs when you're pissed! Actually my band is York based and we've played there twice. Sadly I have to be in Gatwick :) on July 15 - business calls - but hopefully we can meet up some other time....

P