Why become a member? ×

Lakland DJ Vs Stingray

chenzo_1

[quote name='chenzo_1' post='530395' date='Jul 2 2009, 11:21 AM']Is there much difference in tone between the two?[/quote]

Like chalk and cheese. Nothing at all like each other. I own both and the DJ has the classic Jazz tone and sounds wonderful. The Stingray sounds like a Stingray which sounds nothing like a Jazz bass. I know not that helpful but they sound totally different.

[quote name='Linus27' post='530547' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:07 PM']Like chalk and cheese. Nothing at all like each other. I own both and the DJ has the classic Jazz tone and sounds wonderful. The Stingray sounds like a Stingray which sounds nothing like a Jazz bass. I know not that helpful but they sound totally different.[/quote]

+1.

You've got the Lakland DJ which is in fact greatly superior to most modern day Fender Jazz equivalents, and also has the bonus of being smaller bodied and usually has beautiful block in lays and a bound neck, and just nails the classic Jazz growl with ease. It's also passive so it's tonal variety is ultimately a little limited.

The Stingray is a different beast, although I'll say that IMHO the Stingray is regarded for it's more beefier Jazz tone, whilst having it's own unique slap tone. And having active circuitry gives the bass loads of possible tone variations.

It just depends on what your after Chenzo.

+3 I guess.

They are so different that you can't really compare em. They do different jobs. If you want an out and out spitting rock/slap beast that cuts through anything then it's a Ray.

If you want something smoother, more versatile and laid back then it's a DJ or JO or Fender Jazz (pretty much interchangeable - Ducks from the Lakky fans).

I've both, and a definite +1 to Josh and Linus.

Find a local dealer, take the MM and A/B them is the only way you're ever really going to find out. So many variables will make an awful lot of difference.

If you're ever near Cambridge, you're welcome to come along and try.

regards

Rich