Why become a member? ×

A special evening

leschirons

Myself and Mrs leschirons just got back yesterday from Nantes in north western France where I had the good fortune to meet, and chat to, a couple of bassplayers I'd always admired. Fairport's Dave Pegg and Les Holroyd (Barclay James Harvest) The gig was a rock opera based on the life of Anne of Bretagne. It was one of those quite special nights as it was set in the centre courtyard of the chateau ducs de Bretagne (fabulous backdrop) We are pals with the French rock guitarist Pat O'may who was doing all the lead guitar parts and ended up in the front row of the VIP area (free beer and pancakes)

Both guys came across as really nice and down to earth and with time to chat despite being obviously knackered (gig was three and a half hours and they were all in full period costume) Sorry, no pics of them as camera battery was flat at this point but here's a few other shots. (Mrs leschirons showing off her VIP pass, James Wood and Chris Leslie on stage and our mate Pat in full rock pose.

Dave Pegg was on bass for all of the night and Les Holroyd was playing Henry the seventh so was vocals only. The other UK players were Chris Leslie, James Wood, Gerry Conway and Simon Nicol. There was also some serious stick bass playing from Bob Callero. The "opera" was written by Alan Simon and was performed by over 60 musicians throughout the evening. The only concern is the threat of a few "bevvies" with Les Holroyd if we go to Paris in October to see BJH with full orchestra. Might have to go on my own.

[quote name='OldGit' post='530229' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:48 AM']Sounds brilliant ..
This has to be a contender for a Basschat "Explain this picture" contest :)
[attachment=28114:King_of_the_blues.jpg][/quote]

I guess it's not everyday you see Tudor royalty with a Godin acousticaster. i seem to remember reading they were Fender men in the 16th century. I suppose as it's Fairport, they're allowed to be a tad eccentric.

[quote name='leschirons' post='530363' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:41 AM']i seem to remember reading they were Fender men in the 16th century.[/quote]
I do believe Ann Boleyn was a bit of a bass player herself.
Rumour has it she played a Status -- headless of course! :) <groan>

[quote name='leschirons' post='530882' date='Jul 2 2009, 06:09 PM']You two aren't the Chuckle brothers in disguise are you? You're as bad as each other.[/quote]

No smiley.. Have we upset you? Sorry.

Back on topic.
I really like the way the French do this sort of thing. I think the more predictable weather allows for outdoor things.
We've been to Brittany and gone to Fest Noz events in town squares (and on one occasion a field 3 miles outside the town where we were the only "outsiders") where all ages are dancing country dances together that everyone knows...
A few years back we were on holiday on a small French town on "last week before the schools go back" and on Saturday night the market street was divided up into 30 or so 20 metre square "plots" with a different entertainment on each. About 4 or 5 bands, Duos, jazz, African, salsa plus jugglers,dancers, etc . Side streets with "fringe" events going on where people just set up outside their house and played etc .
It was brilliant.

We just don't seem to do that here.
Elfin Safety and noise regs I suspect ...

Edited by OldGit