Why become a member? ×

Headstock bushing holes

I'm putting together a bass from parts and am fitting a Mighty Mite 2909 maple Jazz neck. I've bought some new Fender parts, specifically a set of vintage bushings (Fender part number 0019509049).

Needless to say, the holes on the headstock are way too small. I've looked around on the web and the consensus seems to be that the holes need to be 11/16th of an inch - I tried a hole on another piece of wood at 1.8cm (which is a shade over; 11/16ths = 1.746cm) and it's still too small. They need to be snug and at the same time I don't want to crack the headstock.

Anyone have an idea of the right size? Otherwise it's down to either filing out the hole or using sandpaper in the existing holes (and the temperature in my workshop was over 40 degrees yesterday).

Cheers
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='530203' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:14 AM']I'm putting together a bass from parts and am fitting a Mighty Mite 2909 maple Jazz neck. I've bought some new Fender parts, specifically a set of vintage bushings (Fender part number 0019509049).

Needless to say, the holes on the headstock are way too small. I've looked around on the web and the consensus seems to be that the holes need to be 11/16th of an inch - I tried a hole on another piece of wood at 1.8cm (which is a shade over; 11/16ths = 1.746cm) and it's still too small. They need to be snug and at the same time I don't want to crack the headstock.

Anyone have an idea of the right size? Otherwise it's down to either filing out the hole or using sandpaper in the existing holes (and the temperature in my workshop was over 40 degrees yesterday).

Cheers
P[/quote]

Unless you have the holy grail of drill bits which is exactly the right size, I have found it best to drill as close as you can (smaller) and then sand the hole out slightly with the Dremel until the bushings fit.

Screw fit bushings for the win. I'm fed up of this crap :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='530285' date='Jul 2 2009, 09:42 AM']Unless you have the holy grail of drill bits which is exactly the right size, I have found it best to drill as close as you can (smaller) and then sand the hole out slightly with the Dremel until the bushings fit.

Screw fit bushings for the win. I'm fed up of this crap :)[/quote]

I used the 18mm and used the wiggle it a bit method. Sorted.
P

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='531095' date='Jul 2 2009, 09:22 PM']I hate to sound like i am pointing out the obvious but are you sure the tuners will fit if the bushing holes are too small?[/quote]

The tuners fit the bushings and the bushings now fit the holes. I installed both while downing a nice cool beer (or three) on the patio about two hours ago.

P