Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Neck Width

spongebob

Did a search on this, but couldn't find a definite answer.

I'm no expert here at all, so please forgive my innocent questioning!

The Geddy J-bass - is the neck much slimmer than a standard MIM Jazz? It's the only Jazz I've eve touched, bar an old Squire.

I was just wondering about how the J-widths vary...are they all really thin? I like!!

I've also seen some nice photos of the Marcus Miller Sig. Anybody got one? Differences....and neck width??!!

All answers welcomed! :)

Define "thin" in your context, you seem to refer both to thinness of a neck (depth) and width (sideways at nut).

If you mean depth, yes, the Geddy's have the smallest neck depthwise, they're modelled off his '70s Jazz where he sanded the neck down himself to make it thinner.

The depth depends on Fender really and which profile they've used for the neck, they define the Geddy as a "Thin C-Shape", and their '75 Vintage Reissue as a "70's C-Shape" and the current American standard as a "Modern C-Shape. The Marcus Miller model is decribed simply as a "One piece C shape".

This part of the FAQ from Fender helps to describe them: [url="http://www.fender.co.uk/resources/faqs.php#q14"]http://www.fender.co.uk/resources/faqs.php#q14[/url]

The width at the nut for a jazz bass is always 1.5" (38mm).

I've not tried a Geddy Lee to compare, so someone else will be able to do a comparison (or you can search the forums again, as they are on here), but bear in mind there will be very small differences anyway between production runs.

Edit #billion: I'll also point out that the Mex Standard and apparently the Geddy Lee don't have Graphite rods in the neck for stiffness and support like the USA Standard does, so it's entirely probable that you could buy a USA standard and sand it to make the neck even thinner than a Geddy Lee model if you so desired (best to get a luthier to do it incase you go too far though).

Edited by Buzz

OK

As a very simple IN MY HANDS test

My Marcus Miller is the smallest at the neck , followed by my Yamaha BB1500a Jazz Style Bass , followed very closely by my Squier VMJ bass ,

with my 78 MIA Precision bringing up the rear totally different profile.

Not very scientific I know , but its all in the feel !

Edited by plumbob

Hey Spongebob, not all jazz basses have the same neck profile (the shape of the back of the neck). My Jaguar bass and the Geddy are both described as Thin C shape, but the Ged feels more D shaped and my Jag is very C shaped. If you're interested the early 2000's ( 2001-2005?) MIM Fender Jazz's have very small necks very close to the GED's.

You might want to check your spelling in your first post, as you've just admitted to "touching an old squire", which has started me giggling uncontrollably. :)

Just to echo what everyone else has said, they are all very narrow at the nut (which is why I can't get on with Jazz basses any more) but the shape (or profile) of the neck varies from model to model. You'd probably really need to play the specific model you're after to make sure you're comfortable with it.
Having said that, I think the neck on the Geddy bass is lovely, even though I don't like Jazz necks.