Why become a member? ×

Pick vs Fingers

Faithless

Fingerstyle all the way for me - so much more versatile with different techniques etc and with 3 fingers speed has never been a problem.

I tried out for an emo/metal band once a few years back and when I got set up and everything they were like 'oh.... our bass players normally play with a pick' so I really dug in with my right hand to get some bite and for some reason they were well impressed!

peace

c

[quote name='gilmour' post='55205' date='Sep 4 2007, 12:39 PM']Thinking about it Billy Gould from Faith No More had a crazy heavy pick sound - but he used it to emulate slapping, which begs the question "why not just slap?"[/quote]
When I saw this I thought "you gotta be kidding". I've seen Billy use a pick, but I've always assumed he used fingers around the time of [i]Angel Dust[/i]. In the [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf_C95C2qUY"]video[/url] for [i]Everything's Ruined[/i], for example, it's all fingers, and some thumb during the verses, which matches what my ears tell me. On the other hand, there's Land Of Sunshine, which I play mostly thum, but which Billy uses pick for (see [url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnVZDvUh1I"]here[/url]). If I'm going to do that with a pick, I need a bionic hand... :)

I use a thumb pick so that I can swap between fingers and pick without having to pick it up then put it down etc. I like to play chords and etc with a pick, I guess 'cos I'm used to the guitar, and it helps me pick out individual notes. I like to play "basslines" with my fingers. Now i've been playing for a while, I can pick as fast as I can finger and vice versa, so it's all just about tone and feeling now. I voted for "use both equally" but I really wouldn't know to be honest!