Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar - EUB skill transfer.

CPBass

Hi folks,

Upright bass? Its something Ive always admired from afar and wanted to do. The only way I could get off my arris and do it was to order myself an EUB.

Ive just ordered myself an Aria SWB lite. Anticipated delivery within the next few days. Ive played electric bass and guitar for over 25 yrs in total.

Do you experienced guys have any top tips for the Upright Beginner? I'm planning a few lessons but have a few weeks to get to grips with the bass first.

All tips greatly appreciated.

Muchos grasias

Nervous / Excited Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

The biggest difference with BG and DB is of course the lack of frets. This means you have to listen more carefully if you are to play in tune. You need to get into the habit of constant adjustment. Initially let the open strings be your guide, and judge every fingered note with reference to them.
Get yourself a teacher asap so you don't get into bad habits which will be harder to correct the longer you leave it.

Good luck - let us know how you progress.

The Major

Dear Nervous/excited.

Well done! you've taken the first step towards a whole new world of bass frontiers. And GAS ^_^

I bought an Aria SWB lite on a whim two years ago and haven't looked back since. My interest in bass playing and music theory has been totally invigorated and since then I've played more gigs in more bands than I can count.

The first thing you will need is patience. You won't be able to play stuff on the EUB that you can play on your BG so don't even try. Start out just gorking on intonation and tone. If you're going to be using it in a band straight away then forget about flashy runs and stick to roots/fifths 4 notes to the bar kind of stuff - less is most definitley more when it comes to the double bass sound.

Secondly, book a lesson with a sympathetic teacher, preferably a regular gigger who does the odd lesson rather than the 'proper' music teacher who teaches grades and have them show you the proper stance and left and right hand technique. You don't have to have loads of lessons, one or two should do, and it will save you a lot of literal pain later on. I didn't do this and after 6 months of playing I was experiencing loss of sensation in my right hand and shooting pains up my forearm caused by poor stance and crappy plucking. I had one £35 lesson and I was completely sorted.

Thirdly, save a wee bit of money for a new set of strings in about 6 months time. The stock strings that come with the Aria are pretty stiff and make it sound a bit glassy and like a big fretless (IMHO). Replacing them with a set of Helicore hybrids or Corellis or Obligatos will mke it play and sound much nicer. Experimenting with double bass strings is a very expensive hobby though so get a good idea of what sort of sound you want (thump/growl/click etc) before you choose.

Enjoy!

Dave

Edited by TheRev

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='523954' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:03 PM']Get a teacher, its the easiest wayi think of learning something. I dont have an EUB but i do Have a DB and well it uses alot of different muscles, and can be quite tiring.[/quote]
+1.. DB has a bit of a reputation, because of the difference and extra physicality, for hurting players; train for it and you'll get lots of enjoyment from it. If you really fancy the occasional bit of bowing, take a few classical lessons as well - those folks do it almost exclusively, so you can get a real boost that way.
Otherwise, think of it as a really long scale fretless the other way up! :)
Welcome to the world of welcome.. people always seem pleased to see a Double.

Thanks for all that very helpful info guys.

The Aria arrived today and I seem to have got to grips with it ok. There is a whole new spectrum of physicality to it but JEEEEZZZZZUUUUZZZZZZ is it nice to play!!! Lots to learn though....

Hooked is the word, my intonation is slightly off but the constant adjustment appears to be the major factor in getting this right. I got it home and played 2 albums straight through. I aint sweated like that since god knows when (well... I do, but I wont tell any more :) )

I'm hooked, cant believe I took so long to get one. Lessons booked!!

Thanks again

Col

Think its been said already, but best bet is to get a teacher, at least for a few lessons to at least start with something near decent technique. Helps if the teacher is familiar with jazz-based and classical music as you'll get a broader understanding of the instrument and how it differs from the bass guitar. For me, its always been a lot more than just a big fretless bass. Its like going from driving a normal car to starting to drive a model T Ford. Same function yes, but to really appreciate it helps to know a bit of theory, technique and history behind it.

If you don't want to shell out for a teacher, you should get a tuition book or two. You can't really go wrong with the 'New Method for the Double Bass/Book 1' by F. Simandl. It is dry and old-fashioned, but it does show proper fingering techniques and how to stand and sit, and gives a basic description of the German and French bow techniques.

However, you could just ignore all this and just play around and figure it out by yourself. You'd probably get competent fairly quickly. Must say, a lot of upright bassists I've seen in folk groups have pretty much no technique beyond what they 'presumably' had on electric bass, they just use it because it makes them look more arty.

Oh, and buy/steal a decent bar stool. Sitting down when learning just allows a bit more stability.

And have fun!

[quote name='thodrik' post='524085' date='Jun 25 2009, 08:18 PM']Oh, and buy/steal a decent bar stool. Sitting down when learning just allows a bit more stability.

And have fun![/quote]
Fun, yes! He's hooked.. top! :)
Ikea do a good height folding stool for sitting practice. costs around £20

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='524292' date='Jun 25 2009, 11:34 PM']Oh ya that simandl book is very goos, my teacher got me to get it, its long winded and slow, but its great for learning and getting you used to music.[/quote]
Great book; my classical teacher got me on the same one. I really like the way that each study is a tune in its own right rather than just an exercise.

One little tip that might help:
On the BG you use all 4 fingers (mostly) as "independent" note producers. On DB, the 3rd finger in all the lower positions, should be thought of as being "joined" to the 4th finger ie whenever you place the 4th finger on the fingerboard, the 3rd finger should also be there with it, firmly placed on the f'board. The 3rd finger doesn't get used till you reach the octave position ie where the octave G harmonic is on the G string.

Also try this:
Hold you left hand in front of you and mimic the position it would have on the bass. There needs to be a gap between the 1st and 2nd fingers that should be the same distance as between the 2nd and 4th fingers. So the 3rd will appear squashed between 2 and 4. The thumb should be opposite the 2nd finger. This is the perfect hand-position. Yo need to stretch the gap between 1 and 2. To help develop this, place a matchbox or something similar between 1 and 2 while watching the telly or some other non active pastime.

The Major