Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Jazz Vs. Standard - Difference In Sound?

spongebob

I have read with interest posts over the last few days about the Geddy J-bass.

They seem to have quite a following!

However, is there a big difference in tone between a standard Jazz to the Geddy one? I know some of the parts are different, but how much does the tone vary from a standard, similarly-priced Jazz?

My experience of Fenders in very small, so forgive me when it comes to knowing where they are made, etc. The Geddy is Japanese?

The Geddy Lee Jazz is made in Japan (but it sounds Canadian :) ).
I don't think the tone varies that much from a standard similarly priced Jazz bass but the reason why so many people are using them is that the quality is consistently high, the neck is absolutely superb & the Badass bridge as standard is a major improvement over the sh*tty standard Fender bridge. It's everything a good jazz bass should be without the inconvenience of having to try dozens of clunkers before you find an OK one, which is what you usually have to do with Fenders.
I've said it a few times before but if you want a Fender Jazz bass the Geddy Lee model is the best one they make at any price point IMO.

Edited by RhysP

What he said. It's a Fender Jazz bass at the end of the day, and similar in tone to many other similar models. They do however have a consistently high level of build quality though, I've never come across a bad one and I wish I'd kept the one I had, it played and sounded wonderful.

Made in Japan, which mostly means superb quality, and with US pickups fitted it's a very very nice bass indeed, and highly recommended.