Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Jazz

Musicman20

Hey

I was just drooling over the Geddy Lee Jazz. Gas is far to high this month.

With the pickups...are they positioned differently to how a 'modern' jazz would be? Do they sound less aggressive?

Just wondering....price tag aint so bad.

Cheers! (PS I searched and found load of reviews which made me GAS more!)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='520062' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:03 PM']Hey

I was just drooling over the Geddy Lee Jazz. Gas is far to high this month.

With the pickups...are they positioned differently to how a 'modern' jazz would be? Do they sound less aggressive?

Just wondering....price tag aint so bad.

Cheers! (PS I searched and found load of reviews which made me GAS more!)[/quote]

I've just Photoshopped a Geddy, the current US Standard Jazz and a Mexico 70s reissue. The pickups on the Geddy and the current US model are in the same place. On the 70s reissue the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge (which is correct) - it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the pickup width closer to the bridge. For the benefit of this, result attached.

Don't quite get it when people ask about the aggression! There's so many factors; amp, speakers, technique. I've not changed anything and it's got plenty of thump and output. It's very hot. I'm running it into an amp (Tech21 Landmark) that shares the same pre-stage (Sansamp) that Geddy Lee uses...if you ramp up the gain and play it hard enough expect elements of that tone I suppose. Last week I put it through an Ashdown ABM setup for a couple of minutes and it was just horrible. I lugged my gear in and used that.

Best
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='520361' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:50 PM']Last week I put it through an Ashdown ABM setup for a couple of minutes and it was just horrible. I lugged my gear in and used that.

Best
P[/quote]

Horses for courses I guess. A Geddy Lee Jazz and an Ashdown ABM stack seems to work for me & the chap in Crowded House. We get completely different sounds with it though...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='520669' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:40 PM']So is the Geddy closer to the bridge or not?
Thanks[/quote]

No. The Geddy pickups are in exactly the same place as the current US models. ONLY the 1970s reissue has the pickup closer to the bridge. If you look at my original photo, I've just layered the current 70s reissue over a Geddy Lee model. Look at the bridge pickup.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='520707' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:20 PM']No. The Geddy pickups are in exactly the same place as the current US models. ONLY the 1970s reissue has the pickup closer to the bridge. If you look at my original photo, I've just layered the current 70s reissue over a Geddy Lee model. Look at the bridge pickup.
P[/quote]

Ah right...I see! Many thanks!

I just googled it, and apparently it does have the 70s placement, and the reason why it look a little different to what people think is the different bridge, so its apparently got 70s placement, but the Badass bridge visually makes it look slightly different.

hmmmm!

[quote name='spongebob' post='520704' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:13 PM']I think that the Geddy is actually closer to the heart rather than the bridge! :)[/quote]

There was "no one at the bridge." (obscure Rush reference from a Rush nerd)

Geddy Lee is a very aggressive player. Infact on Moving Pictures where his Jazz and Ricky were both used in recording they sound like the same bass to me and I wouldn't have even known his Jazz was used if I hadn't read about it years later. I don't think the spacing would make a fat lot of difference.

Edited by Mr Fudge

Ok, this is what I have heard about Geddy's Jazz, the original Bass he uses has a bridge pup that is breaking down, some of the lower freq are being cut due to this, so very similar to a 4001 but this has a capacitor to get the same effect and why he liked that particular Jazz over other basses.
I am not sure if the reissue designers were aware of this when they started to produce the Geddy Jazz, if they were, there will be a cap in between the pup and the jack or they may have modded the pup's internally.

Aggressive, possibly but certainly more gritty like a 4001, if they have made them to sound like Geddy's original.

[quote name='SS73' post='520743' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:55 PM']Ok, this is what I have heard about Geddy's Jazz, the original Bass he uses has a bridge pup that is breaking down, some of the lower freq are being cut due to this, so very similar to a 4001 but this has a capacitor to get the same effect and why he liked that particular Jazz over other basses.
I am not sure if the reissue designers were aware of this when they started to produce the Geddy Jazz, if they were, there will be a cap in between the pup and the jack or they may have modded the pup's internally.

Aggressive, possibly but certainly more gritty like a 4001, if they have made them to sound like Geddy's original.[/quote]

Yes I remember this now. The dodgy electronics give him that sound like the Rick. I don't think the re issue emmulates this ???