Why become a member? ×

EBS TD 650 problem

Guest McBass

Guest McBass

I have the above amp,when the volume is turned down and i'm setting the gain level i hear a faint distorted signal when i pluck a string.It goes when i turn the volume up.I can also hear when i plug my lead in with the standby on[i.e.blue light off]?Shouldn't do these things.... any ideas?

Edited by McBass

• 2 years later...

i took of the heads lid today and checked all the small plugs inside the amp. One (a white one placed in the frontend of the heads interior) had come loose a little, probably caused by vibrations from the cabinet the head is placed on. i pressed it down again and now everything works as it should, no distortion at all, even at the smallest volumen.

BE CAREFUL! CHECK THAT THE AMP IS NOT CONNECTED TO A POWERSUPPLY WHEN YOU DO THAT!!!

Has anyone an idea how to make sure that the plugs are connected correctly and do not come loose again?

Sandmann

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1331899774' post='1580588']
A little bit of silicon (yes, the stuff you seal sinks with) will keep things held in place...
[/quote]

If you open up a Mark Bass amp they use silicon to fasten a some of the components, so I guess its an effective and reliable method.

Very interesting !
I had some email exchange with some EBS staff (Ralph and Mats, great support!)
and they were suspecting a grounding leakage. So they asked me to check and
and tighten to potentiometers holding nuts and also all the screws where all the pots are grounded
on the chassis. Result : nothing !
I guess I should have verify all the internal plugs...
Anyway, my amp is gone now. I'll keep you informed when it will be back.
I'm happy to see that it seems to be a small and easy fix !

Btw, great amp and my Warwick Thumb never sounded so good ! The Eq points, compressor and drive controls
allow great tonal variations. The only negative point is that the power section really seems to come alive at 2 ohms instead
of 4 ohms.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331901685' post='1580629']
Must be a TD650/60 thing!? My HD350 hasn't skipped a heart beat over the 8yrs I have used it. Has anyone had a similar fault with their EBS amps? (HD350, Fafner)
[/quote][quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331901685' post='1580629']
Must be a TD650/60 thing!? My HD350 hasn't skipped a heart beat over the 8yrs I have used it. Has anyone had a similar fault with their EBS amps? (HD350, Fafner)
[/quote]

I've had a Fafner for over three years. No problems whatsoever. Hopefully that hasn't put the kiss of death on it!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so the tech at the service center said that my amo was OK.
However, I emailed Mats Kristoffersson, technical director at EBS, with a sound clip and he told me
it was NOT normal... So the tech at my local store tried some of the recommandation of Mats
and nothing changed...

Some of you seems to have resolved the problem by reconnecting some internal plug.
What pieces exactly do you reconnected ? Here's a pic with some numbers....
Thanks in advance !!!! I have more pictures, so don't hesite to ask more details....

[IMG]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af355/Slaymus/td660.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

here is a pic and the parts I suspect are more clearly visible.
What are those plugs ??? The number 1 (white parts) that are plug on the board,
or the orange wires that are plugged in the white part (2)
or what !
I can provide more pictures if needed.
Thanks a lot !

[IMG]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af355/Slaymus/TD660-buzz.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 years later...

My TD650 developed the same problem over the the few weeks and gradually got worse to the point whereby it was unusable. The tone was breaking up very badly, even with the input gain almost off. I emailed Ralf at EBS and replied with the following possible fixes...

1. Clean the effects loop jacks. Spray with electronic cleaning spray and jack in and out a contact in both jacks a few times.

2. Take the lid off (when not powered of course), and use the cleaning spray where all pots are attached to the chassis. Then make sure they sit tight against it, and turn the knobs back and forth a few times.

3. On a spot on the circuit board, there's a ground cable attached with a screw. If you find that screw, make sure it sit's tight, if not, tighten it.

4. Check so the big transformer sits tight.

When I popped my TD650 open I immediately noticed that the large transformer was rattling around quite a lot. It must have shaken loose during transit over the years along with additional vibrations whilst sat on top the the cabs during use.

I tightened the screws as tight as I could, switched the amp on and is now back to normal. Clean as a whistle...no more break up, pops or squeeks! So, that appeared to be the problem in my case. I cleaned the pots as a couple of them have been a bit scratchy for a while and the amp is like new. Easy 5min fix and avoided a potentially expensive trip to an amp tech. I used it last night for a gig and worked perfectly.

If any other TD650 owners get this problem try these 4 possible solutions. Could save you a lot of money.