Why become a member? ×

Help with slap notation in Chilis tab

Beedster

Hi guys

I've just got a tab for 'Tell Me Baby' by the Chilis. I was originally playing the verse pop/hammer on 5th-7th on the D with the slap on open A using quite a lot of muting. The tab suggests I use 5th on the E rather than open A which is all OK until I try and get the slapped triplets, which I was originally doing using right hand thumb-left hand fingers-right hand thumb. The A sounds much better played 5th on E, but I can'd get the triplet worked out.

Under the notation for the triplet the tab says

T - - - - l

Any idea how they're suggesting I play it?

Cheers
Chris

Edited by Beedster

Had a listen to the song and I don't hear any triplets. If you mean the repeated A's with mutes it just sounds like you thumb with your right hand and where there are mutes you apply a little less pressure with your left hand to get the mute.

I noticed on another thread you are around MK sometimes, I'd me more than happy to go over some slap stuff if I'm free and if you're about.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='517061' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:45 AM']Had a listen to the song and I don't hear any triplets. If you mean the repeated A's with mutes it just sounds like you thumb with your right hand and where there are mutes you apply a little less pressure with your left hand to get the mute.

I noticed on another thread you are around MK sometimes, I'd me more than happy to go over some slap stuff if I'm free and if you're about.[/quote]

Hi Mikey
Many thanks for the reply. Not sure of they're technically triplets, but I'm referring to the three As played in rapid succesion on the third beat of the riff, the first of which is muted. It's geting the second two down that's the problem! What I'll try and do later is scan the tab in so that you can take a look. I'm kinda getting there by using my thumb on the first and third with a hefty slap from the three remaining fingers of my left hand on the second (if I use just one or two finger there's too much chance I'll actually sound a :). Tried to do it by hitting the three notes with my thumb and if that's what Flea does he has my respect!
Cheers
Chris

Am I being a complete philistine here: Would any listeners actually notice during a gig if you played some bits in a more simplified way? I think not!

I know that a lot of musicans like to get every subtle nuance totally polished and perfect, but if I was up to playing this stuff I'd be much more into just getting the right vibe.

[quote name='Golchen' post='517211' date='Jun 18 2009, 10:20 AM']Am I being a complete philistine here: Would any listeners actually notice during a gig if you played some bits in a more simplified way? I think not!

I know that a lot of musicans like to get every subtle nuance totally polished and perfect, but if I was up to playing this stuff I'd be much more into just getting the right vibe.[/quote]

Would any listeners actually notice...? Probably not, but if we take that approach to its logical conclusion we'd all play Squiers through Peavey combos :rolleyes: This thread wasn't asking for an opinion on whether it is or isn't necessary to get a note correct, just for a little help in doing so in one specific song. If I didn't think it was necessary, I wouldn't have asked. I'm quite capable of getting the correct vibe, but sometimes getting a few notes in the right places and played well helps as well :)

Oooh! Got my ass whipped on that one. Apologies, I think I must have come over with a negative opinion there and it totally wasn't the way I meant it to sound. Plenty of musicians take great pride in copping licks and notes exactly and it's great to have that perseverance and drive.

Unfortunatley I was born with a lazy gene and something that borders on a form of dyslexia with reference to understanding tabs!

No offence intended. (smileys duely noted!)

[quote name='Golchen' post='518555' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:30 PM']Oooh! Got my ass whipped on that one. Apologies, I think I must have come over with a negative opinion there and it totally wasn't the way I meant it to sound. Plenty of musicians take great pride in copping licks and notes exactly and it's great to have that perseverance and drive.

Unfortunatley I was born with a lazy gene and something that borders on a form of dyslexia with reference to understanding tabs!

No offence intended. (smileys duely noted!)[/quote]

No my bad dude, but here's the back story! We moved house two weeks back and apparently it takes Talk Talk anything up to 17 years to recognise the fact and move your broadband to your new number. So, I'm having to use a mobile broadband dongle, which means the average page on BC (i.e., one without pics) takes about 5 minutes to load. I was on my email and got a message from BC saying I'd had a response to the question (and that email itself took about 2 minutes to open), and, as I was pretty much bass in hand at the time, I jumped to it to see what really helpful tip some experienced Flea-style bassist had left. As you can see from my post, the whole process took about 15 mins, And there it was, the least helpful answer to the question I could have ever expecteD :)

However, it was also a quite legitimate opinion on the issue and no doubt very useful for any bassist reading the thread who might have been thinking "sh*t, I don't play that line properly either"

Think I have the problem solved now, but it's killing my left hand. We're rehearsing it Sunday, so I'll keep you posted!

Cheers

Chris