Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EB3 replacement pups?

chenzo_1

I recently brought a Gibson RD Artist off shaggy,

The bass doesn't have the original pups in but had gibson eb3 pups instead i thiking of changing them anyone got suggestions what i could put in instead?

Was thinking maybe darkstars?

I liked the chrome but not the EB-ness of the p/u's, my intention was always to fit a replacement pickguard (still NOS ones on US 'bay) and Lindy Fralin bassbuckers - chrome T-bird replacement p/up's. But you could then fit black soapbars instead to be closer to the original - EMG's, Barts etc.
Another option - NOS RD standard pickguard complete with p/ups:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-s-gibson-rd-standard-bass-pickups-and-guard-mint_W0QQitemZ360159724006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item53db3141e6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-s-gibson-rd-stand...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url] - a couple of different sources there.
Darkstars [i]would[/i] be pretty cool though! :)

[quote name='chenzo_1' post='520723' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:38 PM']yeah, think i may go with some darkstars! now i just need to find the cash!!! Would it increase the value of the bass?[/quote]

Not really, it's all non-original as far as the collector is concerned. You'd best keep those mudbuckers if you do replace them, so if you come to sell the RD on then you'd make more money selling the Darkstars separately (or keep them for another project).

• 8 months later...

Yeah, That might be a good avenue to explore! Im not really sure it'd be worth it tho as i'd have to find an original moog pre amp, which i think would be tricky!! Although saying that I have just found a new scratch plate and pup's on fleabay.com!!

[quote name='chenzo_1' post='767439' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:24 PM']Yeah, That might be a good avenue to explore! Im not really sure it'd be worth it tho as i'd have to find an original moog pre amp, which i think would be tricky!! Although saying that I have just found a new scratch plate and pup's on fleabay.com!![/quote]

Oh, well that does put a different spin on it, I thought you had the circuitry. That will be trickier to return to stock condition, yes :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...