Why become a member? ×

Gone

deaver

[quote name='MB1' post='511371' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:23 PM']MB1. :)
Have Seen Maya basses before!...never an El Maya...unless this is a Maya for the Mexican Market!....Sorry!...I'll Get me coat! :rolleyes:

............Think the Doc might know a bit more on this? ;)[/quote]

Maya was for the pre-Columbian Mexican market! :D

Maya & El Maya - same brand, El Maya was the original models & high-end copies, while Maya was mostly the mid & low end stuff, with a few exceptions. A lot of the Columbus-brand guitars from the 70s were re-branded Maya. It's that New World connection again! :lol:

Anyway this is a gorgeous & unique bass & I would have had this from Ebay if the seller had been willing to post it.

Jon.

[quote name='MB1' post='511371' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:23 PM']MB1. :)
Have Seen Maya basses before!...never an El Maya...unless this is a Maya for the Mexican Market!....Sorry!...I'll Get me coat! :rolleyes:

............Think the Doc might know a bit more on this? :lol:[/quote]

Are you referring to me or Howard? I know very little about Mayan products; did own a Maya P bass once! Very well made. Jon's the man really. Polytone produced a range of basses at one point which shared the same body shape...iirc!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='511418' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:58 PM']Are you referring to me or Howard? I know very little about Mayan products; did own a Maya P bass once! Very well made. Jon's the man really. Polytone produced a range of basses at one point which shared the same body shape...iirc![/quote]

MB1. :)
Initially yourself Sir !...but i think weve managed to shed a little more
mexican moonlight on El Maya! :rolleyes:

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='512052' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:48 PM']Lovely bass, and errr quality thread - thanks for posting!

Why don't you stick it back on eBay where it'll find it's correct value - which'll at a guess will be somewhere roughly around exactly what you paid for it?!

Pluck[/quote]

My pleasure. Does eBay really find the correct value? I'm genuinely curious as I've never sold anything on there.

El Deaver

[quote]Does eBay really find the correct value? I'm genuinely curious as I've never sold anything on there.[/quote]

Well lets see. If a collectors item is going to reach it's maximum value, it needs to be put in front of the largest number of potentially interested parties possible. eBay is by far and away the largest marketplace and auction house on the planet, even bigger than Basschat! A collectors item is worth precisely what a collector is prepared to pay for it. It's possible, likely even, that the one person who was looking for an El Maya like yours and would have been prepared to pay £300 for it may have missed the original eBay listing, but given that the collectors amongst us here on Basschat had seen the original listing and decided not to bid over the £200 odd quid that you paid for it - it seems unlikely that we would now think it's worth a third more than it was a month ago. Caveat being ( I just twigged ) that the original seller wasn't shipping - so you'd have probably got it cheaper for that reason.

Anyway regardless of value - it's a lovely bass - good luck with the sale. Still think you'd be better off putting it back on eBay and offer shipping, preferably worldwide if you want maximum value for it.

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck